Another Newbie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Tom. Definitely buy a lathe ASAP and join the madness. I've only been at this since January and the bug is getting worse.

Welcome Aboard Tom
You're right, there are a lot of nice people here ;D Nice engines
Tony

Beware!!! More tools need more projects. More projects require more tools.......
You get the Idea. Welcome
Do doctors cure diseases or invent them???? HMMM

Tin

You guys should see all of the tools I bought including a Miller 185 welder, just to restore one farm tractor that I have no use for. Tom

WELCOM TOM this is a great place and you can never have too many tools. (just dont ask this misses) :big: :big:

Welcome to HMEM, Tom. Great to have you here.

Chuck

Welcome Tom,
You have some great inspiration in your collection.
Gail in NM,USA

Welcome to HMEM Tom. Glad you finally got here. You will find a wealth of information on this forum.

enginebob said:
Gentlemen,
Once more you have have a newbie who truly is a newbie. Any information regarding Lathe and Mill brands would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
EB

One newbie to another, Welcome

Just look around the board, you'll every fashion of lathe mill, from the carry in hand to the load on a semi size

Hi EB,

Welcome! ;D

What do you want to build?....that might help us decide on what size lathe/mill?

Dave

Hi enginebob!

I joined last Feb. It is a great group of people and a whole lot of fun. I'm a newbie too...I'd never cut metal before this.

Where are you located? That may help determine availability and resources for tools, etc.

What are you interested in doing? That will also help people with their suggestions.

For myself...I'm just starting out so I went inexpensive (although some might say 'cheap'). At the $500 range you'll find most of the lathes and mills to be made in China. Differences may be in what accessories are provided and certain specifications. For the most part, these are minor. For any of them, you will need to spend some time cleaning and adjusting. (With respect to location...I saved $150 by driving 45 minutes to a store to pick up the mill rather than having it freighted to me.)

I'm happy with what I've done...but I can see the day when I'll want to grow.

ToolsNow (used to be Cummins) lathe 5278
Harbor Freight mill 44991

These are not recommendations...I don't have the experience. And there's some things I'm 'dissatisfied' with but I don't know if it's to be expected or not.

Still...I hope this helps.

Welcome, EngineBob.
Like the others have said, the best choices in mill and lathe depend on what you want to do with them, because there are better brands at every size.

Wlcome EB,
As has been said, it will largely depend on what you want to do and your goals. As for me I have used Sherline equipmet for many years now for smaller projects, but I also have a full size Bridgeport clone and as Atlas 9" lathe when the need arises. Whatever your size preference, keep in mind the availability and cost of the accessories you will want as you get deeper into the hobby.

Bill

Thanks you all for the nice welcome :) I am not very sure how to describe what size I was going after in my projects but I'll find out how to word it. Any ways thanks and you have alot of work ahead of you because I have never cut metal before.
EB

EB:
Welcome That is a very open ended question.
a lot of info here. http://www.lathes.co.uk/
You have to decide what is best for you.
here are some questions for you that you need to answer this can narrow things down a bit.
How big is your budget ? remember to allow for tooling for the machines.
How big is your shop ?
How big are the items you want to build ?
Are you looking for used equipment or New.
Are you open to import stuff ?
With some exceptions there is probably a web forum,page or yahoo group that gets into the pros cons ins and outs of most machines.

Chinese import
The seig C2 and C3 Lathe and the X2 mill are popular starter hobby machines sold by many vendors.http://www.siegind.com/Products_all.htm

Made in USA http://www.taigtools.com/
http://www.sherline.com/
This should get you thinking.... or confused.
Do not be afraid to ask questions here .I know starting from scratch you may not even know what questions to ask. But no one here is put down for asking questions.

Tin

Bob :If you could us where in the world you are, that could be really helpful.
City and state if in the US would be nice.

A 6" lathe in europe is a whole lot bigger than a USA 6"
Europe ,UK uses Radius for swing And USA uses diameter I know you probly do not know what swing is yet but you will learn.
Tin

Oh sorry I forgot that
Fredericksburg VA. That is on I-95 between DC and Richmond.
EB

Enginebob,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Back