Another newbie from Australia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macca

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been lurking on this board for a while now, and my list of projects has tripled at the very least.
I only have a lathe and a bench grinder at the moment, and I'm struggling to find materials, if any one knows of some good places in western Sydney to get stuff, let me know.
I am partway through my first engine at the moment, Elmer's Tiny, but have kind of stalled at the moment.
I love all the projects on here, and I am constantly amazed at the level of craftsmanship displayed. If my engines turn out a tenth as good as the ones I see on this forum I will be mightily pleased.

Macca, welcome to HMEM! We are glad to have you and hope you will make yourself at home.

There is a growing number of the HMEMer's from Down Under, so I am sure one of those guys would be mighty helpful in your material quest!

Best wishes!
W/E

Welcome Macca.
They're a great mob here got a sense of humour always ready
to help, don't be afraid to ask ?s. The first time you fire up
your first engine makes all the angst worth while but beware
its addictive, don't worry about bling, get em running first.
Scrap metal yards are great places if you can get permission to wander
explain your after practice/small pieces and most will help. ASK PERMISSION FIRST.
Best of luck
Paul aka Baldrocker.

Thanks guys.
I've been to a few scrap metal dealers near my place, bugger all there, unless you want aluminium plate that's holier than the pope :)
Nothing in the way of brass or bronze either.

Welcome Macca,

Great choice of name - Mcsomething ???

Also Navy slang for confectionery ;D

Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Also Navy slang for confectionery ;D

Interesting! Jack speak in the Royal Navy for general confectionary is Nutty.

Nice to meet ya Macca, hope you enjoy yourself and post as much as you feel comfortable with.

Al

Well us colonials just gotta be different ;D

Regards
Bob

Yo Macca

For metals, go to

http://www.oztion.com.au/default.aspx

'Business' and then 'Metal' - 99% of it will be from George Vesely (Offcuts Galore) but he's a good bloke to deal with. Based in Marrickville.

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?type5=offcuts-galore

G'day Macca

I'm in Riverwood let me know if you want bronze ( have a mate at Austral bronze )

otherwise George is the best i have dealt with in a long while..

the place here is great friendly , helpful , heck beats every other forum i've been involved with .. simple as that

and blokes like us ( aussies ) are welcome too!!!

pull up a pew, crack a coldie and enjoy!!

cheers

jack

G/day Macca,I'm at Coffs Harbour but originally from Merrylands..Welcome and hope you hve fun here.Ibuy from offcuts-galore and find his service very good.

Ian.

Also Navy slang for confectionery
Well, you learn something new every day.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I will definitely check out offcuts-galore.

I may have to take you up on that offer sometime Jack, the red metals seem really hard to come by, unless you're willing to melt down odd bits of scrap and cast your own bar that is. I'm definitely not up for that yet.

The workshop at work had quite a good selection of offcuts, brass, aluminium, stainless, nylon, acrylic, heaps of useful stuff including two large chunks of bronze, each about two foot long. When it came time to refurbish the workshop some idiot manager type decided to turf the whole lot in the bin. I could have killed him when I found out. If I had have known I would have filled up the back of the work ute.

NO wukka's Macca

it is whats left over from paying customers ( cutting orders etc)

so sizes are whats left over but theres no cost unless you get picky etc ( then he'll do a staffy)

i have a few 1 foot size bits of differing sizes 1' 1 1/4" etc PM me what you need ( anyone else as well) and we'll see what i have or can get my mitts on and sort out the best way to get it to you

i stock up when he gets it as its sometimes months between goodies, but again the most i have paid is a few beers and he gets those anyway phosphor bronze or not ( i did pay for one bit of 3" round bar x 16" for some bushings but hey..fairs fair)

cheers

I ordered some stuff from http://www.ejwinter.com.au late on tuesday afternoon. It arrived at my place this morning (Thursday). I'm not sure how their prices stack up but you can't complain about the speed of their service.

what a top link

downloaded 5 pdf's so far

this place is bad for my budget!!!

Thanks Macca

cheers

jack

Macca said:
I ordered some stuff from http://www.ejwinter.com.au late on tuesday afternoon. It arrived at my place this morning (Thursday). I'm not sure how their prices stack up but you can't complain about the speed of their service.

Yeah, Ernie's pretty good as well - a dedicated ME himself and been around for a looong time.

Macca this do ya ??

its 180 mm long 27.17 mm Dia ( 7 " x 1 1/16th " ? in the old money)

Pbronze2.jpg

i had some 3/4 stuff 2-3 " long but cannot find em ( maybe my mate grabbed them a week or so ago)

but this bit is here now if you want it, PM me a addy and i'll send it off ( wont be until wednsday though when i send some other stuff)

cheers

jack

Latest posts

Back