Amateur Workshop Magazine Stirling Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few improvements, such as a wider bearing block and a paint job.
I will eventually have a water pump to circulate the water in the water jacket.

see a video of it running at:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBgdHEoiLk[/ame]

thanks for your interest and comments

Mike

Great effort. It really looks like its got some "grunt"

OK I have been a member a very short while, so I'm a little reluctant to jump right in. I should probably lurk for a while, but here goes anyway. :D

First IMHO you have done a beautiful job on the engine.

Second there is a book by a Mr. Andy Ross with the title Making Stirling Engines. It is now available as a free down load
in PDF format from this site. http://stirlingbuilder.com/
Mr Ross has been making Stirling engines for a long time and freely shares his experiences with all. I have seen his engines run and they perform very well.
His book is at the bottom of the page there is other free information on the page also.
I hope you find this information useful.
Bob Bailey

Bob,
Thanks for your interest and the information. I had a lot of fun building this engine and making it work.

I had to adjust the power stroke shorter than the plans illustrated to make it run, but it runs well and has a fair amount of power.

I intend to build a water circulation pump to run from the eccentric and a small power take off from the sprocket so it can do a little work.

There doesn't seem to be too much interest in stirling engines on the forum. I had a lot more response when I posted the hit and miss that I built

Happy building

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I have been fascinated by Stirling Engines for a long time and traveled to many engine shows to see them. IMHO they are an enigma, how can something so simple to understand and yet be so difficult to build one that produces a useful amount of power?
It can be done, but it ain't easy. The Swedish have been building Stirling powered submarines since the 1980's. If you search for Kockums on the web you will find lots of information on the matter.

How do I find your information on your hit-n-miss project? That sounds interesting too. :D
Bob Bailey

Back