Alternatives to Bentonite clay

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakkah

Reaction score
Gday
I am having issues finding fine ground Bentonite clay and need an alternative quick. Even looking through face mask suppliers it's expensive and takes ages to get here. I don't have the time to muck around grinding up kitty litter.

Any ideas?

Help appreciated.

Reactions: P.J
I found that our local farmers coop carries a product called pond sealer, it's suppose to be bentonite haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a try. For $11.00 a #50 bag cheap enough.
Jack

Gday Krakkah

If you can get hold of kitty litter , no need to spend hours grinding the stuff , just mix the kitty litter with water to break it down , then mix with the sand , dry to required temper .

Failing that try a pottery suppliers .

Rob (Newcastle UK)

Hi

Did a quick search on the old googler and found these guys http://www.newcastlefoundries.com.au/
(Disclaimer I have no connection with the company in question.)

Maybe a donation to the beer fund would render you a bag or two of casting sand? Could be worth a try.

I've found the same with the kitty litter. A splash of water on it and it turns into a nice slurry very easily with a little mixing, no grinding required at all.

Thanks everyone. I purchased a $13 coffee grinder from Kmart and that minced through a 10 kg bag of kitty litter in no time. My greensand has the right stiction now.
Some great ideas there I am going to try next time thanks.

Latest posts

Back