Added Z Axis DRO to RF45 Clone

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miker

Reaction score
I needed to add this readout as it is impossible to get any sort of repeatability
using the Fine Quill Feed. Started out making fancy brackets and shafts to
go in place of the depth stop rod then decided to try this simple method.

workshop018.jpg

The readout is screwed from behind, directly onto the thin control panel.

Drilled and tapped a hole in the Quill bracket that connects to the depth stop rod
and attached a thin piece of sheet alluminium to the bottom bracket of the scale rod.

workshop019.jpg

workshop020.jpg

It works very well and has made the machine usable at last. :)

Miker

Sometimes the simpler way is the better way. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Neat installation,Michael.Much more accurate than the rather useless"scale" provided on the machine.
Coincidentally,I just bought a digi scale for my x-axis,and it's a Hafco brand!
I'd never heard the name,but the quality seems on a par with any other chino scale.But the price was 20% better :)

Hi,Michael,I got it from the Auckland branch of Machinery house.I got the dr665,which is the 600mm scale.
I'm in the process of fitting it now,and I'll take some pics to post later.

We got off relatively lightly in the earthquake.Just a few broken ornaments.It makes you a bit jumpy though.We are still getting lots of little aftershocks,a week after the main one.Every time this happens you wonder if there's going to be another big one.The boffins predicted another 6 aftershock for several days,but hopefully they've changed their mind by now.

Yes,that's the one,mike.I'll open a new topic to show the fitting.

Latest posts

Back