about the Stirling Walking Beam Engine kit - sold on LMS/Grizzly..metric to inch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
Howdy, I was wondering if any of you knew of a link to plans that have been converted to make this in Inch, rahter than metric. That is to say, re-designed to be built using inch sized tooling.
Or has anyone built it just using careful methods to make to the metric dimensions using std tooling.

Being a newbie, trying to second guess the desing is just asking for trouble..

it is this kit (yea the link is for a pre-machined version)
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2206&category=1963256891

thanks kindly!

I am presuming that you are in the USA there is a book produced for the stirling hot air engine society that details this with drawings, be worth your time to use google to look it up, If you have problems please let me know and I will look it up in my library and send you the ISBN number. One of my grandsons (18) made one reasonably similar in my workshop recently and it works a treat.
There are dozens of different ones out there from useing a bean can to very complex solar ones.
Whatever you do
Enjoy.
Bob

Speedyb:
so if I read this correctlyyou want to build an engine that looks like the one in the link but want plans in imperial /english dimensions.?
If you want to build a similar engine from scratch look for the rudy kuhoupt plans
https://secure.villagepress.com/store/items/detail/item/1431

Tin

thanks, I am a bit embarrased that I could not "wrap my head around" the plans..
I am now carefully looking at the plans, and thinking how does it get made/tooled up.
where I thought I would need metric end mills, etc. I do have some metric taps/dies now.
looks like I will need a boring bar for the lathe, rather than metric end mills for the mill.. :)

I just have to realize some of the parts will get made a 2nd and third time :)

and thanks for the SESUSA info!

you can make a model that has metric dimensions on a sae lead screw lathe and mill just do the conversions. you will ether need to use metric fasteners or the closest American ones.
tin

I am building the Grizzly kit of the vertical Stirling. Matter of fact, I am almost done. My wife bought it for me for Christmas and did not realize that the plans were metric. If you get the material kit, some of the parts are pre-machined. The power piston and the displacer are pre-machined and have an M3 thread in them. other than that, I have converted most of the dimensions to standard and used english fasteners without much difficulty. for the Crankshaft and the displacer rod, I replaced the material with drill rod so they would be standard size, that way I did not have to buy any Metric reamers. I did have a metric tap for the M3 thread to use for the piston and displacer. Other than that, about the only critical dimensions are the crank throws and the con rods(mine did not have the beam, so I guess that is critical too). The rest is easily converted to inch. All in all, the material kit is easy to machine and the metric plans were not too much of a headache.

well, finally making some progress.

the bigger parts:
sterlingengprogress1-M.jpg

also some new Iron in the shop :)
13x40
enco1340-2-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back