About marking build projects....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnoldb

Reaction score
Is there any kind of "standard" for marking and or labelling model build projects ?

A bit of an obscure question - so some background:

I'm partially in negotiations with a "local" museum (500 km away) that approached me for building them some engines to auction off to raise funds.

They want to know how much I'll charge for these engines, but I'm not into it for the money, so I'm happy to build the engines at my own cost and in effect donate my building costs and work time to the museum. The only payback from the museum I would expect is unencumbered access to their 1926 Marshall steam roller so that I can measure it up and photograph it to my heart's content to build a model of it - access which is already a certainty.

I have only built 10 engines so far, and have not bothered to mark or label any of them, as they are all in my own collection except for one which was a birthday present to my sister.

I've not yet had the privilege of visiting a model engineering exhibition to see what goes on models to mark them uniquely, or what documentation accompanies them - what is the normal or accepted methods? My amateur attempts at building engines might not warrant any form of marking, but it would be nice to be able to add some so that possible future owners will have a bit of history behind it, and identify it in future.

Regards, Arnold

That's an interesting question, pity I don't know the answer.

None of my engines are marked either, for similar reasons, but there is a rumour going about that I'm not immortal so perhaps some of them should be. Builder & date at the very least.

Hello Arnold my friend,

My Grandfather crafted many violins and fabricated quite a few full sized steam engines in his day. He would write his name and the year inside of the violins as well as either weld or stamp, sometimes cast his name into the frame or part of an engine to let future generations know of it's origins. I got Dad into the habit in his later years and on all of my works be them gifts or personal displays, I hand sign and date the bottoms of each one for the same reasons. I think that any works of art (your engines certainly are in that category) should have identifying markings so that those who view them will at least have an idea of who made it and when. The name of the model, builders name, and date would be my suggestions. Or model name, builders name/date followed by the designer if other or where built. I've had engraved plaques made by jewelers but the local trophy shop could silk screen the information on a small placard and I liked it a lot better than the engraving, you could actually read them without squinting. At least in 100 years from now someone may get interested enough to ask "who the h*ll is this Arnold guy anyway?" :big:

BC1
Jim

Arnold,

I used to build a few engines for commercial sale, and I used to use a logo, in my case three concentric circles, dotted around the engine on say cylinder tops or even custom bolt heads.

For engines I usually give away, before donating it, I engrave my full name and date of build with an air engraver, usually in some place on the engine that is not in general view, but engraved deep enough not to be easily removed without making things rather unsightly.

I have very few of the many dozens of my engines I have built left, I think less than a dozen now, having given them away to friends and relatives over the years. To me they have no monetary value at all, just memories of better times.

So good on you for making the donation.

John

I mark most everything that I make in the shop. Even tooling for one off projects. Mostly I use a vibrating engraver for simple projects. For more complex projects an engraved plate on the underside of the base where it is not seen unless examining closely. Here is what is on my recent IC engine. It was laser engraved on 3mm colored acrylic sheet that doubles as the bottom cover plate on the base.
Gail in NM

Final8[1].jpg

Awhile back I made tried making a stamp or Makers Mark in the form of a "K" It did not really end up looking like a "K" but It did end up unique.

Every project That was intended to leave the shop has this very obscure mark on it in an inconspicuous place.

Kel

Mine all have a number on them somewhere, but unless they're to be given away, there's no other info. Give-aways get name/date/etc. I suppose I should probably at least sign the others so years from now somebody can search up the right HMEM threads in the Grand-Dusty-Archive-Of-The-Internet via their Brain-O-Bot or whatever ;)

Thanks very much for your input Gents :bow:

I'll start on experimenting with making name plates then - or look for a local engraver that can help out. Fortunately, there's no hurry - this is all long-term.

John/Tel - thank you; it's for a good cause; I don't have cash to help, so the donation is a good alternative.

Jim, thanks, I consider that a huge compliment!

I've received the final confirmation that I can get at the steam roller as much as I like ;D - It's a bit far away, so when I take my annual leave towards end of April I'll go and spend a couple of days there and get as much detail I can about this one:
normal_winston.jpg

Kind regards, Arnold

I am a little bit late to this party, but I have done a couple of "give away" finger engines. For those, I signed and dated the bottom of the display base as well as had the local trophy shop make up a plague for the display.

One of the engines was sent to my 10 year old (at the time) nephew in kit form for a Christmas present along with documentation and pictures of the build process, and instructions on how to assemble it. It took longer to do the documentation than it did to make the engine, but I felt it was worth it. He had a great time building it, and later that school year did a research project on machining in the early 1900s. Budding machinist?? Maybe, but my little bit of effort educated him on what is becoming a lost art.

Arnold, bravo! It is always great to help museums preserve our history. Think of how much would be lost if it weren't for their efforts in bringing the past to the present.

Best wishes for your steam roller project!

That's a nice looking roller and should be fun to model. I started on a toy one a while back but lost motivation for some reason after making the boiler. Hopefully it'll come back.

Personally I think that the work of the designer should be acknowledged and to that end I fix a brass plaque to the base carrying that information.

Thanks wareagle - Yes, there is a real need to preserve the old things, as well as the old methods. I'm still relatively young, but that means there's hope for the newer generations :) - or at least we can try!

Shred, I was wondering what happened to your "toy" one; I hope it does come back ;) I was following along closely on it. I'm finding the same with the design of my experimental loco currently; one just gets to a point where some time-out is needed, and it's no use working on it when not motivated. Hopefully I'll have quite a bit of shop time this weekend though :)

Thanks Woodguy!

Kind regards, Arnold

HI all my engines are built from scrap i keep a log of the engines i have sold sum on eBay to fund my Hobey but most are given to family and Friends all of them are numbed and have my name on them somewhere. if you provide a set of photos of the proses of the building of the engine and a pic of yourself then the Bayer can see the work that has gone in to mack the model and also see the person that made it

Arnold;
I'll be a little bit cheeky and say the answer may be right under your nose ;) - next time you're at the museum ask to talk with their archivists to see how they identify / catalog the stuff they have "outback". Museums must have some standards by which they all identify their treasure.

I like the idea of an engraved plate but think Jim's suggestion of adding a signature and date personalizes it even more.

Wareagle ; re: "Budding machinist?? Maybe, but my little bit of effort educated him on what is becoming a lost art." Even if you don't convert him into a machinist, he'll appreciate the art when he see's it, and maybe his appreciation will encourage the artist or make someone else appreciate it.... A win win all around - good onya...!

Keep us in the loop on the steam roller Arnold.

Cheers
Garry

I think Garry has a good suggestion. Talk with the museum and see how other pieces are done.

I do like logos...gives a piece personality. But definitely include full name, date, and a short description or name of the engine.

You can't predict the future...if just one engine is donated (and thank you for an excellent gift)... someone someday will want to know who you are (or were). Make it easy.

If possible, I like the idea of putting the identifier on the engine. Some types of bases have a way of getting separated. Similarly, I would avoid adhesives and paper.

If I ever gain the experience or opportunity...it's won't be signed 'zeep'.
I'd use Arnold, or Rick, or Dave, or Tel, or Gail, or Dennis, or John, or... :big:

Bob, Garry, Carl, Thanks guys - much appreciated :bow:

Garry, not cheeky at all :); excellent suggestion. This particular museum is a bit far away, very rural and very small. It's high time I went to the local ones for a change; haven't been there since I was a kid. There's some other research I'm doing as well, and it may be a good thing to get to them and start asking questions.

Carl, very good points; thanks! Not sure about the company you put my name with; I don't want to drag those gents down to my level - but thank you, I consider that as a compliment.
And for the record, you don't have to put "Zeep" or any of the other names mentioned on your own projects; "Carl" will do just fine Thm:

Kind regards, Arnold

I know I am way late to this party.
I have not been marking my engines. but in retrospect wish I had at least put build or first run dates on them somewhere.
I have laminated cards I use for the shows with builder name designer name materials used e nine name etc.
This has likely been already said but I would think basic info would be engine name builder name and first run date. Other stuff nice if you have room.
If I ever get this cnc thing usable I may do plaques for my engines.
Be careful of engine donations to museums. A great Idea indeed . Some museums are private. and they do close. what happens to you engine then. Likely to the highest bidder then wherever. A long term loan to the museum will keep it under your or down the road your families control.
Tin

Latest posts

Back