• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

A very unique hand water pump model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
My friend Ray, the one that does that casting work stopped by the other day with the flywheels for Rick's Upshur engine. He had a big bag with him and after we finished looking at at the flywheels he said "I've go something neat to show you." With that he pulled out this really cool old hand pump model that he makes castings for. "WOW" I said, "that thing is really unique". Like I need another project at this time!!
Anyway he isn't an internet type of guy so I told him I would post some pictures for him and if anyone is interested they can get in touch with me and I will give you his contact information.
gbritnell

HAND PUMP 1.jpg

HAND PUMP 2.jpg

HAND PUMP 3.jpg

HAND PUMP 4.jpg

Yes it does pump water. The castings are aluminum and the column is made from 3 pieces so it's not that long.
gbritnell

I'm very interested! Looking for a pump to make belt drive to run with my 1/3 scale Galloway. Would make a nice show piece and demo at old engine shows.

Tom

Very nice George, but it reminds me that I'm getting to be an antique too. We had a pump just like that (only full size) halfway between the back porch and the woodshed. My job every night from about age 6 untill I left home was to pump two pails of water to set on moms kitchen counter and fill up the woodbox!!---Brian

George, can you give some idea of the overall height of the finished pump. They look like some very nice castings and as you say a unique model for sure. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Bill

Hi Bill,
The pump is 20" tall. That's to the top of the castings. There is a shaft sticking out the top that is a little longer but could be cut down. As I understand it the shaft sticking out of the top was to hook a windmill to. The pump handle has a pin in it that would be pulled out so the windmill could do the work.
gbritnell

How cool ! I'm definitely interested !

Sent ya a PM George.

Mike

Hi Brad,
Email me and I will give you the gentleman's particulars. I don't want to post his information on line.
Thanks,
gbritnell

All, that round pump looks exactly like the casting kit for the pump I sell with the Aermotor.
The size is a match too. Originally the pump and Aermotor kit was designed by Arnold Teagues
and when he retired I bought the design and inventory. The castings I offer are cast iron.

maury
www.lonestarengineworks.com

That's a beauty that your friend is casting up, George. Do you know the length of the longest casting?
Just wondering what size a fellow's lathe needs to be for working it.

Thanks,

Dean

If you look at the original on maury's site next to one of his engines you can judge the sizes against the flywheel, I would say the top guide casting is around 9" lg and the curved body about 8". I must stop looking at that site as the Ball hopper engine is very tempting ::)

Jason

JasonB
This is an aside to the original post, but I just bought a ball hopper engine casting kit from Maury and I am very satisfied with the quality of the castings and the set of plans. :bow:
Brad

I'll look forward to seeing your build thread :)

Do you think it can be built on a 11" lathe, I know the site says 12" for the crankcase.

Jason

Jasonb, I assume you are anticipating a thread about the Ball Hopper Monitor.

On my site I recommended a 12" lathe for the rigidity for doing the crank case. Of course, it could be done in a milling machine assuming the machine had enough vert travel.

I machined my crank case in a lathe. First I plugged the holes on the ends and drilled centers.
Between centers I faced the feet and the top, machining the casting to length. Then I mounted the casting by it's feet to a faceplate to bore the liner hole. This is where a rigid lathe comes into play. If you have a smaller lathe you could bolt a donut to the top of the casting and use a steady rest to steady the top end of the casting. In this case, I expect a 9" lathe would even work if the bed is long enough to accommodate the boring bar at the end of the casting. Hope this helps.

maury

Thanks for the info Maury, it will be a while off yet as I have a few other engines to do first. There is always a way of fitting the job onto your lateh

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/myfordboy?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/18/H0_6VmY6mns[/ame]

Jason

Jasonb said:
I'll look forward to seeing your build thread :)

Do you think it can be built on a 11" lathe, I know the site says 12" for the crankcase.

Jason

Jason

I am finishing up a 1/4 scale Gade cart at the moment (engine is complete), and the next engine (some parts already made) is the 1/6 scale 25hp Fairbanks. After that I will start on the Monitor... I am terrible at documenting my progress. Maybe I will start a thread on the Fairbanks and practice there ;)

Brad

Latest posts

Back