a use for your old bearings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
I went into the auto parts store to pick up a few things. I'm always so pleased when the clerk who waits on me has plugs in his ear lobes. It lends such a note of professionalism to the transaction. Well, this guy, in an apparent effort to advertise for his employer, had, instead of the normal inch diameter plastic slugs, a lovely set of ball bearings in his ears.

I asked him if he would mind me taking pictures of his head but he refused. Maybe he was put off by my uncontrollable laughter.

You know the ladies like a big set of........Ah never mind.
:big:

Kel

Rof} P'raps he's trying to stretch his ear lobes - cylinder heads next time.

Or maybe a piston ring through is nose. At least he's keeping with the theme of the establishment he works in.

Bill

maybe he should try a set of those bull nads guys put on the back of their pick-up ya that will work!!!!

Let me see if I can tell this story carefully enough for this family publication.

A good friend of mine, Henry, is a big fellow, just shy of 7ft as I recall. Henry is a well know machinist in his area and has made parts for many local boat owners. One very cold, snowy, winter night Henry got a call from a past customer, but this time in his role as Emergency Room doc, not boat owner.

It seemed he had in the room a young fellow that had the outer race of a ball bearing around one of his external organs, Just think of the one organ that we have, on centerline. It seems he had slid the ball race over the appendage, then a certain swelling had occurred, and now the ring would not come off.

The Doc wanted Henry to tell him how to cut the ring- he thought some kind of bolt cutter. Henry thought such a cutter might shatter the hard ball race creating lots of flying pieces.

Henry suggested an angle grinder. The Doc said they didnt have those in Emergency room supplies. He asked if Henry had one. Well, it was at the boatyard, but Henry being a very obliging fellow, offered to get it and come to the ER. He picked up the boatyard owner, got the grinder, and went to the ER

When he arrived at the ER the young fellow was propped up on a work table, in a suitable position to expose the ring, still captive by the swelling, probably enhanced by the tightness of the ring.. The Doc offered to let Henry operate the tool (remember Henry is 7ft tall, and sprouts a big handlebar mustache). The patient looked less that happy.

Henry instead did a quick operator training session for the Doc on the use of a 4" angle grinder.

The Doc was a quick learner. A nurse was pressed into service as a coolant dispenser with ice chips and running water. After a few minutes of cutting, in two places the ring was parted, the patient relieved and Henry returned home to a quiet night and a good story.

I believe this story to be entirely true and accurate, only the names ( other than Henry) have been eliminated to protect privacy. A couple years after I heard it I happened to meet the Boatyard owner, asked him to verify the story and he pulled a half of a ball race from his pocket and proudly displayed it.

I would think that the mere thought of someone coming at that part of your anatomy with an angle grinder would reduce the swelling to the point where the race would fall right off.

Hi Ron,

Gentlemen...I know Henry...you can believe it! :big: :big:

Hadn't heard that story before Ron.....but you gotta love Henry! :big:

Dave

Latest posts

Back