A Striling in series

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwin

Reaction score
Hello,

as I have already pointed by my image, now I build on mine fourth thermo akustik Stirling. In addition I have most parts quite ready and today I have the machine stand on blue perl grain tip slat screwed
I have milled the flywheel, the machine stand and the interpreter from aluminum records CNC by which the time involved keeps for an engine in low borders and I build one as a present always sometimes again.
Because this Stirlig still runs very well, slowly and is long-lasting, the engine is suitable well for it.

Edwin

k-1.JPG

k-2.JPG

Looks great Edwin!!

Would love to see a video of it when it is completed!

I like the granite base you are using.
If you polish the aluminium up nicely it will reflect the colours of the base! :)

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the praise.... :)

Unfortunately, I will not be able to show a video, because I have only one very slow connection on the Internet and the pictures already need minutes to upload.

However, I have so laid out this Stirling that they run very slowly with max. 200 rpm and one thus this play to the mechanics can well recognize. Who might and sometimes in my nearness comes it can look with pleasure in my restaurant in which such Stirling often runs.

Edwin

Edwin,
Is this engine your own design, or are you building to someone's plan?
It is a beautiful design.
Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your praise.

There is not a plan in the sense of these thermo akustik Stirling, indeed, a good description on a homepage, indeed, into German what should be, however, with translator programm no obstacle.

http://www.w-haag.de/

Edwin

Hi,

today I have further built a little on my Stirling.
First I have begun with the camp shell from brass. Two ball bearings with 13 mm are pressed in in a distance of 20 mm to this.
To the ball bearings I have removed the deck discs and with benzine have removed the fat. After him blow out and dry I give in jeses a drop of machine oil. I have turned the crank disc likewise from brass and have attached 4 mm of drilling 7 mm from the middle. I have won 6 mms of wave from an old PC printer and thus with a 4 mm of plug have soldered everything with electronics plumb line. Then on turning the back everything was assembled and should run so easily that it runs after on pushing even other 30 seconds.

k-1.JPG

k-2.JPG

k-3.JPG

k-4.JPG

I have done the working cylinder and piston from a glass syringe which I have bought at an auction in Ebay. In order to fasten in the brass shell I wrap him in several positions Teflonband, in such a way that I can push him carefully, but firmly in this.

The joint screw connection to the piston I turn from a 8 mm of brass stick in I with the crank in my center lathe a M4 thread cuts.

k-5.JPG

k-6.JPG

k-7.JPG

k-8.JPG

Afterwards I bore 1.6 mm of hole concentric by the later joint, and drills out it up to middle on 2 mm. Now thus I can saw in the same connection with a saw blade a 2 mm wide slit and cut a M2 of thread in one half of the drilling.
I turn up the connecting rod bolt with my watchmaker's center lathe from a piece of silver steel in length of 8 mms on a diameter from 2 mms and cut on 2 mm a M2 of thread. Afterwards I saw with my small milling a 0.3 mm wide slit in the before still planned head of the bolt.

k-9.JPG

k-10.JPG

k-11.JPG

k-12.JPG

For such fine works I have been founded before short a small milling and drill.

Now the ready joint with the piston looks screwed together thus.
I do the connecting rod from two brass sticks I once with a 2 mm and a 4 mm of hole provides. I connect this with a high-grade steel the flat steel which I have won from an old car windshield wiper. For my models I use almost excluding materials of the flea market or scrap yards.
After I have cut one more 70 mm of long piece steel wool and have been in the test tube cut on 135 mm, I could this like the cylinder with tephlon seal tape wraps in the brass shell. Now real Stirling is ready with it and tomorrow I am founded the alcohol burner in addition. In addition I have one more piece ovally low-spirited brass pipe.

This, however, tomorrow.
Edwin

k-13.JPG

k-14.JPG

k-15.JPG

k-17.JPG

So and today I finish him.

Today I have looked to me at the oval brass pipe over again and for me decided not to use it as a distiller, because it would be simply too massive.

Thus I have turned once again a sewage pipe about a wooden thorn and have polished the chrome layer.
For the ground I have processed a piece of brass from the leftovers box, because the weight is good for the distiller anyhow. After I have turned off the ground something I could solder a 30 mm long piece of pipe with the ground hard and afterwards one more 0.5 mm of metal as a lid.
In the distiller I have soldered as a wick pipe one more 9 mm of brass pipe and have cleaned the whole and have sharpened.
I use as a wick again a piece of glass fabrics which I put rolled up in the pipe.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

After coarse cutting I work on the wick still with my small gas burner which melts the points and I can cut thus everything cleanly.

My fourth thermo akustik-Stirling is ready with it and already runs perfect.

Edwin

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Back