A shy wave from the UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippychap

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'll try not to get under your feet and hope to meet you all on the threads.

I have just got a Hobbymat MD65, my first lathe, and EVERYTHING is new to me

Thank you.

Welcome Chippy...no need to be shy around here, we were all new to this at some point. Jump right in whenever or wherever your comfortable and just enjoy the fellowship and fun!!!

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to the club Chippy!!! ;D

Like you i am also very new to all of this metal working stuff!
I am more familiar with the stuff more commonly known as "Brown Stuff" on this forum, aka wood! :D

Don't be shy to ask any questions and use the search function, there is a lot of info on this forum and a whole pile of guys willing to answer any questions you may have!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Andrew

Welcome aboard Sir!

I am a newbie myself, and I assure you there are many neophytes around, and they always receive very good replies to their posts from the more knowledgeable people.

do you care to post a photo of your Hobbymat? I love them!

take care,

tom in MA

This is the little beastie.

Hobbymathigh.jpg

A warm welcome chippychap! you will love this forum I'm sure!
Stew

Chippychap

Welcome to HMEM. We look forward to your participation in the various threads. Any questions just ask, there is always someone with an answer or at least an opinion. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome Chippy you have come to right place. Have you any ideas for a first project ? . wEc1

Rob.....

Chippychappy :
Welcome to the board. Interesting little lathe thanks for the photo . A bit different from what I have seen. Looks like it will do fine for small models. what is the swing and ctc measurement on that.
If you have not already done so check out:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9413.0
A thread I posted for folks just starting out. Some good resources to get going.
If you want to learn this is a good place to be. Some of the best hobby machinist in the world hang out here.
I am willing to help out as well.
Tin

robwilk said:
Welcome Chippy you have come to right place. Have you any ideas for a first project ? . wEc1

Rob.....

What about a rocker?

Thanks for the warm welcome AND advice.
HMEM looks great with TONS of ideas and advice.
The lathe has a five inch swing and twelve inch centres.
Tom, is a "rocker" sometimes also called a "wobbler"? just so I can place it in my head.
As for a project...........I am so far behind you guys in technical ability that my projects for the time being will be just to
bone-up on lathe skills.
I see the mega-projects you guys seem to just knockup in your lunch hour and my first item completed was a tool to
hold a needle to adjust the windscreen washer jets on my car. :-[ But it looks good and works and I felt like
I'd invented the wheel. It makes me view YOUR projects with absolute awe.
I feel like a kid in a sweetshop lookin at all the stuff here and I am so pleased I found you.

Welcome Chippy - make yourself right at home!

Chippy,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Do not feel intimidated. I think wee all stumble on our first engine. I started three befor finishing one. Kep it simple and one step at a time.
Tin

Here is my first ever engine i had never used a lathe before i built this.
Robspics035.jpg

This is what they call a rocker there is no valves the compression in the cylinder is lost by the piston tipping over.
My plans were bought but you can get some free plans from here.
http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans3.html
This web sight has lots of really good free plans.
My advice is just have a go jump in with both feet you will be surprised what results you get and if it goes wrong you just chop off a bit more brass and start again with a lesson learnt.
Also John summers has a great sight for beginners if you go to the tutorials section there are some very good training videos for the lathe and mill.http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/home/
Hope this helps .

Rob......

PS I see from your profile you are a fellow Yorkshire man. Thm:

I am astounded by the warmth of your welcome.
You have given me much to think about and more of an idea on the directions I can take.
Much respect to you all and have a great weekend. :bow:

Welcome along Chippychap

Nothing to be shy about here, we were all new once and many of us, like me, still are. This really is a wonderful place to learn and share. I found the EzEngine on here to be a really great place to start. The best thing about this hobby is that every step brings a new smile and every day brings a new step.

Enjoy yourself.

Latest posts

Back