A Set of Instrument Makers Vices

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWilson

Reaction score
Morning Lads ,

I made these wee vices a few years back and they have been a godsend in the shop for working on small parts ,so I thought I would share .

Ok lets go , more photos than words , I DO PHOTOS ! ,feel free to ask questions if something is not clear :thumbup:

The stock , old forklift forks grab a set if you can ,good tough material for making home shop tooling .

That was cut up and machined to make the vices jaws .

Jaw blanks .

After a we bit more milling to give them some shape and relief .

I used my small toolmakers fixture plate to hold the wide jaw vices for machining off of the sharp corners .

Next the bottom of the moving jaws was rounded ,I used a tool makers vice in the mill vice for this operation .

A few lengths of Drill rod / Silver steel where hardened up for the jaw guilds .

After a polish these were pressed into the fixed jaw , small washers under the jaw were used to set the push through distance .
I had also turned up threaded and plane Bronze bushes and pressed those in.

The screw was a straight forward turning job , I screw cut the threads ,material ,stainless steel .

The T bar also in Stainless .

And there we go , job done nearly .

I decided they needed a stand .

The End !

Rob Wilson

These clamps are too nice to be used.

That's a compliment.

These clamps are too nice to be used.
My very first thought! Looks more like art than a tool.
That's a compliment.

Excellent workmanship. I do wonder how one keeps them from rusting, being handled daily must result is a lot if salts and stuff getting stuck in places a wipe off doesn't get.

Hi Lads , Thanks for all your comments and interest .

I do wonder how one keeps them from rusting, being handled daily must result is a lot if salts and stuff getting stuck in places a wipe off doesn't get.

Good point Wizard69 ,

Choice of materials , the T bar handles and screws are made from Stainless , the Pins are hardened which gives those some corrosion resistance , the steel used is about a 4140 / 4340 grade which is a Chrome -Moly alloy steel that stands up allot better to handling than say Mild steel /BMS . And the base I gave that a Heat bluing .

Regards Rob

Beautiful work. I love shop made tools, especially the ingenious & elegant ones like yours.

Can you elaborate on your heat blueing procedure for the knurled base?

Thanks for the compliment Peter

Can you elaborate on your heat blueing procedure for the knurled base?

The process is very simple but effective , The part needs to be cleaned , then cleaned some more with Acetone of some other such cleaner that will remove all traces of oil and grease /finger prints so were gloves when handling the part , then the part is heated up slowly and EVENLY , most reach for the propane touch , me I prefer to use a cheap heat gun , the type used for stripping paint .
Work the heat evenly over the part until the desired colour is achieved , from straw yellow through to purple (the tempering) colours . Whats happening is an oxide layer is being built up on the part as it is heated .

Regards Rob

Good day Rob,
These clamps are a top job and to be to be admired.
Great work.
May I ask how you achieved the finish please?
Are they machined and then hand finished?
Regards,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis

May I ask how you achieved the finish please?
Are they machined and then hand finished?

Sure , no problem , I tend to aim for a straight machined finish with just a deburring of the part required using a fine file .

I did clean up the guide pins in the lathe with some emery tape .

Regards ,Rob

P1060314.jpg

Latest posts

Back