A new shop being born!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I'm pretty sure it was just a crap endmill. :big:

It was good with aluminum, but then, almost anything can cut aluminum. on the little pieces of 954 aluminum bronze and on the 1018 steel it was like one of those old motel beds that you put a quarter in. SHAKE shake shake. :D

Just recently had enough warm weather to fire up our A/C unit, and began to notice a stale wet, and moldy smell in the workshop. It was weak at first and I could only smell it when I first opened up the room in the evening. In a few days it was a very noticeable smell. I bent over and pressed down on the carpet.

:eek: squish squish. :-[

A little more looking revealed a wet ceiling(in a closet, so I didn't see it for about two weeks). Further inspection in the attic showed the water had followed a twoxfour along an eight foot section of wall. The entire wall of sheet rock.

#$^$#@m!!m, 3%!$F1$!!!!!! :-X

First step is to clean out everything and rip up the carpet. Which I wanted to get out of the workshop anyway. That's one positive. The wife and I had discussed doing away with the carpet in all the bedrooms and hallway and laying down wood composite floors. So looks like we can do that now.

I had a strong desire to upgrade the electrical wiring from our meter panel to the shop to support some 110V 20 amp circuits and add 220V outlet. Looks like that will be easy to do now. Everything up to the panel that is. The last few inches of connection/upgrade, will cost me some buck$.

Another plus would be building in the storage units as a part of the wall and being able to create a custom workspace.

Drat$ and double drat$, :'(
Kermit-Sheetrocking and floorlaying, plus oddjobs and plumbing. All done for free! You can call and try to make and appointment, but I assure you we are booked up well into the new year.
::)

Kermit....
That sucks big rocks. Sorry to hear you're working for free, but the outcome should be great.

Steve

;D YeaH The outcome will be good. (It better be) :p

I spent the day drinking coffee. Bitchin to anyone who would listen, and sizing up my limited options on places to store all my "junk" while I have the walls torn out and floor ripped up. :-\

I suddenly reminded of a movie titled The Money Pit

:-[ signing off for a while,
Kermit

moldywall005sm.jpg

The cleaned out shop.

moldywall004sm.jpg

The closet floor.

moldywall003sm.jpg

The ceiling in the closet. This is right below the attic A/C unit.

moldywall002sm.jpg

The wall outside the closet, which my lathe bench was up against.

I haven't gotten to the really wet area yet. I'm trying to let things dry out some before I do.

So goes the home remodel
Kermit

Kermit,

Commiserations on the water damage. :'(

I have always been a little envious of guys who have their workshop in the home. After seeing this my envy has gone down a step or two. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

I hope that my suffering will bring me a future reward. A BETTER shop.
----Hmm???
(Yes Dear). :-[

A better room that a future home owner will be proud to have. Seems I forgot that we are moving someday. But built in shelving and beautifully finished Oak paneling walls WILL be installed for 'the practice' ;)

Is there a market for a house with a shop AND a garage? ::)

Kermit

So, Kermit, I take it the water damage come from the A/C condensation drain being plugged up? Water damage is always a damnable thing.

Chuck

cfellows said:
So, Kermit, I take it the water damage come from the A/C condensation drain being plugged up? Water damage is always a damnable thing.

Chuck

It comes from the AC unit alright, but it wasn't plugged up. Checked the overflow a day or so after I first started it up and water was dripping out at a respectable rate. I seem to have had a squirrel take up residence in my attic and he chewed through the soft plastic pipe the previous owner installed so he could gets himself a drink.

I've got 3/4 copper pipe on it now. (lets see an animal chew through that...come to think of it. IF they can chew through it; I ain't messing with 'em.)

-
:eek:

John

That's some flooding there. Hope you never have to go through that again
Kermit

Back