A Few More New Toys

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
At work today I found my Starrett wiggler was not doing the job that need
it to do. No worries, off to the tool crib to by an edge finder.

$16.28
Ahhh, sell me two of those I could use one at home as well.
By the way I carry my Hole Attachment in my lunch box so I have it
here or there. How much are they these days?
$30.28 OK give me one of those.

Add to that the Automatic Center Punch from last weekends Harbor Freight
visit, and it's been a good home tool week!
MoreNewToys.jpg

Rick

Excuse my ignorance ,Rick,but how does the hole attachment work,and for what purpose?Please enlighten a dumb dutchman ;D.Regards.Hans.

Poor Mans cheap and nasty edge finder.

No pic's it's that simple they work in braille as well :D

Sort thru the scrap box and find a small sealed bearing with a decent sized OD like 1" or 30mm, no 13/16" or the like.
Now sort out a piece of silver steel or drill rod [ same thing ] that will fit the inner bore, cut a piece of say 2" long and loctite into the bore.

That's it, job done.

To use, fit the shaft into the collet or chuck and run at about 500 to 600 rpm, not critical, now brin the bearing up to the side of the work, chuck jaw etc and just as it touches it sows down to about 1/2 speed.
You are now half the diameter away from the job, hence choosing a decent number.

If you get too excited and crash it then it just bends the drill rod and you replace it, no big deal.

Works on internal bores as well, quick, cheap and easy to use.

John S.the 3rd.

John S said:
To use, fit the shaft into the collet or chuck and run at about 500 to 600 rpm, not critical, now brin the bearing up to the side of the work, chuck jaw etc and just as it touches it sows down to about 1/2 speed.
You are now half the diameter away from the job, hence choosing a decent number.

If you get too excited and crash it then it just bends the drill rod and you replace it, no big deal.

Works on internal bores as well, quick, cheap and easy to use.

John S.the 3rd.

I just bring my spinning endmill in real fast until it slows down to about 1/2 speed. Not quite as accurate, and I do often get too excited and crash it. :big:

Just kidding!

Good tip John! Love the automatic punches Rick. Guess I'll have to look at Harbor Freight for a few cause I keep leaving my Starrett where I can't find it, then I have to clean the shop, which makes clean spaces, which makes me buy more stuff to cover the spaces. It's a real pain.

Cheers!

BW

A hole attachment is a cheap way of way of using your standard indicator for small
diameter bores or hole.
HoleAttachment1.jpg

It is also useful for indicating the back face of a piece for flat.
HoleAttachment2.jpg

Rick

BobWarfield said:
Love the automatic punches Rick. Guess I'll have to look at Harbor Freight for a few cause I keep leaving my Starrett where I can't find it, then I have to clean the shop, which makes clean spaces, which makes me buy more stuff to cover the spaces. It's a real pain.

Cheers!

BW

Bob I paid $2.99 for that Automatic Center Punch at Harbor Freight
I should have bought 6 of them! It's a good thing all my really important body parts are permanently attached.
If they weren't I'm sure I'd lose them and be be frantically looking for them at worst possible moments. :D

Rick

I had to buy three of them before I got one to work. They almost went to the woods( I have a small fortune in tools that have failed in the woods) By the time I almost gave up I found my General autopunch

georgeseal said:
I had to buy three of them before I got one to work. They almost went to the woods( I have a small fortune in tools that have failed in the woods) By the time I almost gave up I found my General autopunch

Now that's interesting George.
Did they not strike at all or not hard enough?

I bought a couple of the Horrible Fright self tappers when they were on sale a few months back. Mine worked but were rather weak compared to my Generals. They work OK for aircraft skin work though. I might try dropping a washer under the spring to see if a shim will help.

There not finished yet but with what I have made so far can you guess what they are for?

tool1.jpg

Nothing much special in making them but they did give me practice on the lathe and the mill.
I'll let you know what they are for once we have had a few guesses or if someone guesses correctly.

Back