9 inch face plate for a Myford

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

A short while ago I posted a question re what hole size for a 1 1/8 x 12 thread. The reason being a new face plate for my Myford ML7. I have a 7 inch face plate but allowing for clamps etc work of 5 inch is about the best it will hold. Browsing e bay I came across unmachined 9 inch face plates for £15.00 so immediately bought one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-M...&otn=1&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=4003100951554127873

First job was to mount it on the 7 inch face plate. I made 4 spacers .450 and made sure they were all equal. Then mounted the 9 inch face and clocked it central as best I could on the rough casting.

Drill through increasing to the largest drill I have then bore to size

Screw cut the thread.

Checking with an adapter I have.

When I had it somewhere near I finished with a tap

Machining the register. I took care to get this spot on.

Then face it

The 9 inch face plate screwed onto the nose

I had to take about .050 off the face to get it clean

Then cut some guide lins at .5 intervals

Finished. I have about 1.25 clearance.

RDG tools bought Myfords stock so I don't know how many of these face plates they have. At the price I would say they are well worth the money. The one I have machined easily and will be a very useful extra. As it is a blank and needs to be machined maybe it will fit other makes of lathe??

Cheers

Rich

John

Thats right they have some really good stuff. I like the idea of fitting the 9 inch slotted table to the rotary table, I'll give it some thought.

Cheers

Rich

this post comes at just the right time for me as i am thinking about making a face plate for my 9" south bend lathe 8)

the write up and the pictures will come in very handy, thanks rich. :bow:

chuck

Terrific short editorial with pictures showing us how you went about making a very useful attachment for your Myford. I truly enjoy viewing this kind of thread (article) as it gives a easy to follow, how-to, in chronological order from start to finish. Great job Rich, thanks for sharing.

BC1
Jim

I'm very sorry Rich, I was too interested in getting my info across to comment on your post.

Very nicely shown and done Rich.

I see you have got the Myford threading sorted. Is that an HSS tap from Arc Euro? If it is, how was it?

John

Hi John

I had a bit of luck. I went to a big car restoration show at Stoneleigh 2 weeks ago. There were many stalls selling all sorts of new and used stuff and at one selling engineering goods I picked up a tap 1 1/8 x 12 for £4.00. Not sure whether its carbon or HSS but it is very sharp and cut cleanly and easily.

Cheers

Rich

Very nice indeed Rich Thm:

That looks like a top quality cast iron casting from the finishes you got and the swarf that came off.

And well done on the screw cutting :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold

Thankyou.

It did machine very well

This is a quote from RDG tools advert.

THIS IS A BRAND NEW CASTING OF A 9" MYFORD FACEPLATE

RECENTLEY AQUIRED FROM MYFORD

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Nice piece of work there :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Yes a fine bit of work. You will find that a good faceplate is invaluable to a lathe!

:bow: :bow:

Dave

Latest posts

Back