7x10 compound gib adjustment?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naiveambition

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm having a problem getting to the gibs on my lathe. I have a 7x10 harbor freight version. Was wandering what creative ideas others are doin to get to them. At present I can only adjust the rear. And in the front I am blocked by the leadscrew gear which sits directly below my gib adjuster. I have to remove cross slide and front gear panel but they will only come off at the same time by scooting off the end of the bed together. Am i missing something here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

I'm not sure I'm getting you. Do you mean the saddle adjusters? If so, on the 7x14 (and it looks to be the same setup), there are 2 hex bolts through the top of the saddle into the front 'gear panel'. Remove those and it allows the saddle to come free from the panel. Then slide the saddle all the way to the rear of the lathe and there is just enough room to adjust the saddle gibs.

For a better/clearer explanation, or if I've completely misunderstood you, you can try this link.

Cogsy is exactly right and even shared the same link I considered sharing. :)

I just tuned up my lathe last week and this was quite a task...still not quite back to what it should be with the other gib adjustments. Saddle adjustment is pretty quick though even if it takes 2-4 tries.

Back