5c collet chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmccrack

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just thought I would try to give some of you hope out there. I had a need for a 5c Collet chuck with a D1 4 back. So I bought one off Amazon.ca. Inexpensive Chinese $370.00 can. The spec on line was .0006” tir. When I got it the TIR was as specked maybe .001”. But the outside on all surfaces was .010 to .015 it was awfull!!!. So.......I machined all the out side surfaces now you can not see the dial move at all. But the ID. Well I could not leave well enough alone. It was only running out maybe .001” but I could not leave well enough alone. So...... I remachined the 10 deg. taper as well. Long story short the OD and the ID now run within .0002” to nothing. Once I started the whole procedure only took an hr or so. Time well spent on a small investment. I have taken the chuck on and off many times and the repeatability is always the same. 6” out from the collet face it runs out max .0005. So all you guys that have that “Chinese” item do not despair just a little touch here and there and all will be within tolerances

Latest posts

Back