4 hrs wasted

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmf138

Reaction score
OK what a day
went out to the shed to do a quick job all was going well until my knob/Dial at the end of the lead screw fell off :eek:
that's when it all started OK that happens I'll just tighten it back up so screwed the knob back on and tighten it up nice and firm then the lock nut
at this stage all good
now for the fun
started it all up again went to engage the feed a small click and yes you guest it no feed th_wtf1
so stopped every thing and no feed checked the gears all good down to the lead screw but no feed :shrug:
striped down the gears looked around and OH shear pin snapped
cool I'll just make one up in alloy got it all back together cool away we go
started again as soon as I engaged the feed click th_confused0052 and a few other words
so thinking now it in the clutch area pulled that down looked OK so made a new pin this time 2 spares
put it in and thought this only happened after the feed knob fell off so tried to turn the lead screw by hand NO GO
it was as it had welded itself up :redface2:
so pulled dial off the tailstock end off and the feed screw was loose ???????
looked it over and yes you might have guessed the dial on a emco m5 you put on like a nut and then the locking bolt
I had done it up tight and this worked like a nut. locking the screw to the frame :wall: :wall: :wall:
so loosened it off a little 1/8 turn and then the locking nut was done back up
All fixed so 4 hrs wasted and a good lesson learned
ALLWAYS CHECK BEFORE RESTARTING

Wayne

Sounds like something I would do. But it wasn't 4hrs. wasted, you did learn something from this. Just a 4 hr lesson. ;D

yes I learned how to make shear pins lol
it did give me a chance to clean the feed gears and the engager on the feed

Wayne

Back