2 mm tapping

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not make it right from the start but use "tricks" that don't work?

The right bore for M2 is 1.6 mm. Not more and not less. If the tap breaks, that happens because it is dull and not because you didn't bore oversize.
So, use sharp taps.
Use a tapping oil. WD40 is NO tapping oil, it is just crap that is sold overpriced.
Clamp the work in a vise. If you hold it in your hand, you have two moving targets and more difficulties to get the tap straight in.
For small taps, I use a handle like this one:
we.jpg

You just turn it with two/three fingers, very sensible. I bet you can build your own (and waste one weekend to save $5).

Use the right tap! A gun tap for through holes, a spiral fluted for blind holes (I almost only use spiral fluted ones).
Do not break chips every 1/4 turn. That's nonsense, the chips don't get out if they are broken in small pieces. They do get out if the tap cuts one single swirl.
You only break the chip if you feel that the resistance increases. Then turn the tap back out.

I don't remember when I broke my last tap. It must be several years ago.

Nick

Thanks Nick but I will stick with experienced majority

Actually I built a GH Thomas Universal Pillar Tool( twice) which solves virtually all the problems of tapping/staking/rivetting and whatever. It can't be made in a weekend but a cheap drill ex Aldi , Hofer or Lidl may not be everything which you would desire but at about £30 or so can be a very handy tapping tool- as well as for the task for which it was designed. When the offers come on, you get a vise/vice as well. Not wonderful but way beyond fiddling and snapping and writing to here to say-- 'Please *********?'

I was in my local one( it matters not which one) but there was a tile cutter which would have made a beautiful grinder. There was an arc welding set and a battery drill that could have powered a a mill traverse or lathe. The costs of each were less than half a fill of petrol/gas/diesel in a small car.

The only possible snag was that people fail to recognise how cheap tooling can be modified.
That is not MY problem.

For metric tapping size the easiest way to get the tapping size is to subtract the pitch from the diameter
M2 x.4 = 1.6 tapping drill, I use 1.65 - 1.7 for harder materials
Cheers
Paul

Hi Pau

Thanks for sharing. Did not realise it was so simple to get tap drill size.

I bought a 150mm S.S.Steel rule fron TokyuHands,Japan and it had tapping drill sizes. Tend to misplace ruler and spent days looking for it for tap drill sizes.

Thanks Nick but I will stick with experienced majority

So you wanted to say that I'm inexperienced because I don't do it like hobbyists?
That makes me lough!

I'm not saying anything against the universal pillar tool. It is great, build one! I'll make one too, I have access to the patterns for one.

Nick

We are all hobbyists and all have different approaches to these problems. As I am using good quality, brand new HSS taps I can now see that the main problem is not tapping on the vertical. Hence my next project will be a ght tapping guide Thanks again for the input.

Hi Guys,
Here is how I do it with a S$120 Cheapo China Drill Press(which I have retrofited to be world best.Haha) and a tool maker's vice
also from China(but this vise is cheap n good).Have machine tap clamped tight in drill chuck,bring down tap to hole.Apply ample dobs of Tapmatic Oil(for mild steel).Next ,grab hold by hand and turn all the way to finish. During the tapping process do not oscillate tap especially spiral taps.
Steel been known as tap breaker and not very forgiving.3mm taps if not treated right will also break.So far no broken taps with 2----2.5----3mm. No experience with 1.5mm. Taps must be in tip top condition. My machine taps are Japanese made.No China Taps.See fotos.Would love to make a pillar tapping machine but my balcony workshop has limited space.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Gus,

Unfortunately there is a lobby here which cannot relate that one cutting tool is much the same as another and behaves in much the same way. there is a lobby that is prattling on- seemingly forever about boring tools and here we have a lobby about boring tools which don't bore cleanly but bore with a thread. Other people make a sort of effort to clean up a boring tool- which left to its own state- will tap a sort of thread.

They are ALL mixed up. I'll go for more coffee-- and something for a headache-- which they are causing.

I CAN grind taps-- they can't.They have problems which I don't.

More coffee?

Norman

Hi Norman,
I have no broken taps. I buy only good Japanese Taps.No Chinese Taps or recycled taps.Your get recycled problems.
Digressing. Are you a coffee nut? Gus is the official coffee boy.Coffee powder is ground when coffee is about to be made.Don't believe in Expresso Coffee Machine.Waste of money.Good coffee making is an art.Starting from the bean selection,blend and roast. See foto.

IMG_0178.jpg

Latest posts

Back