#17 Pumper help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarrett

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elmer's #17 Pumper engine
Before I put this project on the shelf I figure I will swallow my pride and ask for help!!
I am unable to get it to run on both cylinders. I can get it to run on one at a time with no problem, but no such luck with both.
I have adjusted the valves so that each cylinder rod will snap up or down sharply opposite each other. ie: when one snaps down the other snaps up. (this is with the cylinder rod disconnected from the crank).
When I connect the cranks and try it, it seems like the cylinders are fighting each other. I have tried adjusting the eccentrics a few degrees in each direction of both cylinders to no avail.
Only clue I have to what the problem might be is in order for the cylinder rods to alternate is to have both cranks align with each other rather than 180° apart.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Cheers,
Julian

PS: I have not even gotten to connecting the pumps yet!!!

This is a great video of the engine. If you run it at 1/4 speed you will be able to see the timing of each cylinder as it runs. Good views from 2.30 mins if you dont want to watch it through. It may help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back