1/6 scale P&W R1830

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it's needed because of the thin wall of the cylinder. To coin a phrase, " we can cut it" LOL Have used this before for speed engines in the "C and D" classes. Should present no problems. Thanks for looking.

"Billy G"

A special arbor is needed to turn the different ODs and fins on the cylinder. I made this one from scrap 7075. To keep the cylinders fron slipping under tool cutting pressure there will be a key at the chuck end. The first two pictures show it being turned in my ER 40 set-up. Last is the finished turning ready to have the key put in.

"Billy G"

zz1 002 016 001 (700 x 394).jpg

zz1 002 016 002 (700 x 394).jpg

zz1 002 016 003 (700 x 394).jpg

I didn't have a thru spindle stop for the 9X20 and needed it to sizt the length of the cylinder blanks. I fabricated this on fron a length of 1/2-13 threaded rod and some scrap that was beggiong to be used.

"Billy G"

zz1 003 003 (700 x 394).jpg

zz1 003 004 (700 x 394).jpg

zz1 003 005 (700 x 394).jpg

The Turbo Fan arrived yesterday. It is usable for this project. I hope to complete the modification by Sunday.It will be a little more work than I expected.

"Billy G"

imp (700 x 394).jpg

Anybody still here? If you look at the picture in the last post carefully you will see the severe damage someone did to the hub. I had no choice but to remove the old hub and turn a new one to be pressed in. You will see a special chuck when I bore the impeller for the new hub.

Also you guys building, that is some nice work you are doing.

"Billy G"

nh (700 x 394).jpg

Hi Bill

I have been following your build with great interest. From where did you get the turbofan?

Vince

I'm fairly certain that's not damage. It would have been material removed to achieve dynamic balance. It is strange though that there would be material removed on oppposite sides.

I'm following along too Bill. I'm watching!... ;D

Dave

I knew you guys were there. LOL
There is more material removed from one side than the other. I looks like they went too far and had to compensate. Either way it has a new hub now. Press fit and Lock Tite will do. This is not the drive end. The other end has 2 keys 180 apart. Tomorrow I will finish it up. I want it to sit for 24 hrs.

"Billy G"

jln (700 x 394).jpg

I haven't posted much but I'm definitely watching. When I decided on a radial I thought about building a larger one like you're doing but opted for something a bit smaller.
gbritnell

I'm still here too Bill....watching with interest

Bill

Oh YES SIR - We're her !

I'm ALWAYS following the complicated and the interesting builds, but rarely commenting them, since I prefer the build tread to contain only the build + really useful comments (and I rarely have any ;) ).

Hi Bill
Still here mate
u would have to drive me off with a stick and even then i wouldn't be far away :big:
Pete

Yup, what the others have said. :bow: :bow:

Ron

vcutajar said:
Hi Bill

I have been following your build with great interest. From where did you get the turbofan?

Vince

Sorry I missed this one Vince. I scored the Turbo Fan on Ebay. Look under Turbo Charger Wheels. You will find plenty of them.

"Billy G"

I'll be watching with great interest I have the Bob Roach drawings for the 1/6 Wasp Jr which shares many of the same parts. Your racing way ahead of me thou - at my current rate I'm making a part once every 6 months or so...

Mike

Mike;
I haven't seen a set of the Wasp Jr. prints but the 1830 prints have some that are marked Wasp Jr.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill,

The Wasp Jr drawings came first - my set has 15 Nov 1993 on the first drawing. I believe that the 1830 was only completed in the last 2 years or so. I'd have to check on it at http://www.modelenginenews.org/ to be sure - great website and its how I found the drawings existed in the first place. There were regular updates as the 1830 was being prototyped by somebody in the UK, from Bob Roachs drawings in Australia with castings from Vernal Eng. in the USA.

I choose the Wasp Jr. as there are a few local operational examples that I get to see and I just love it. If anybody could spot me the $300k + I could just go buy the full size engine installed in a plane http://www.vintagewings.ca/Aircraft/tabid/66/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/18/language/en-CA/Beech-D-17S-Staggerwing.aspx

Mike

The OD was not difficult to turn on the fan. It is now down to its finish size, 60mm. I am going to fill between the vanes with spray foam before I reshape them. I am hoping it will help to stabilize them.In any case extremely light cuts and steady as you go.

"Billy G"

tti (700 x 394).jpg

Ground that lathe tool by hand. I still got it LOL. Now to finish the bore and its a done deal.

"Billy G"

fod (700 x 394).jpg

Back