• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1/4x3/8 bearing needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchg07261995

Reaction score
hello, im thinking about adding bearings to support the shaft of a stirling engine that i am making in my precision machining class at a local technical school, i need the bearings to be 1/4''i.d and 3/8 o.d, and hopefully 3/16'' wide
thank
P.S i need two of them

Can't find my bearing number book, this would have given me the code for your bearing making it easier to find.

Paul.

R168ZZ bearing is 1/4 ID x 3/8 OD x 1/8 wide, shielded both sides. This is the closest that I can find at the moment. The side shields can be removed if not required.

Paul.

thanks a bunch swifty! that helps out a bunch :) ill order some within the next couple weeks. I have to ask my teacher if i could modify a couple parts for the bearings, the shaft supports. As they are now it would be impossible to install a bearing, im gonna make the supports .125'' taller and keep all the same hole locations

If they are sealed bearings you will want to remove the seals. The seals will cause to much drag for a sterling type engine.

you may be able to use a router bit bearing as a cheap alternative. Usually aroubd $5.00. here in Australia

Most hobby shops that deal with radio control cars will have them. The Duratrax brand is common and a package of 2 is about US$ 4. Cheaper than ordering them if you have a such a hobby shop nearby.

In the US, one of the best sources I know of for small low cost bearings is:
http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/
Most of their small bearings are US$1.00 for standard metal ball bearings. Right now they show the 1/4 x 3/8 as out of stock for non-flanged but flanged in stock. Rare for them to be out of stock so they will probably have them in soon. Almost always same day shipping and very reasonable shipping and handling charges. I have used over 100 bearings from them in the last few years with good results.
Gail in NM

thanks Gail, luckily my town has a bunch of hobby shops about 5. One of them is about 3 miles away so ill check them out today :)

Latest posts

Back