1/4 Galloway fluids

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi, I have been searching the forum to find the proper weight oil for my 1/4 Galloway with no success. I was thinking 10 weight non detergent but would like to hear from some one who has actually built one of these. I was also wondering about adding some type of anti corrosion liquid to the cooling water, as the cast iron might tend to rust quite easily. Again, just a guess.

On another topic, my plans say to glue the cylinder liner into the cylinder with silicon sealant. Does this sound better than loctite? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

HI Blockmanjohn,

I have a 1/4 Galloway that I built. I run my engine unloaded so it does not get very warm. I use 10W30 detergent oil and have had no problems.

Also, I never put coolant into my hit and miss model engines, they just don't generate much heat running idle. If you were working the engine fairly hard, one or two misses out of five power strokes, then you'd need coolant. I do use coolant in my Silver Bullet which is a throttled engine and it does warm up. I use 50/50 glycol water mix in the Bullet.

I used Loctite to seal the liner into my Galloway.

Regards,

Chuck

Thanks for the advice Chuck. It's great to hear from some one who has been there and done that. John.

Back