Any one built a 1/4 Galloway mixer?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question on the mixer casting that came with my 1/4 Galloway kit. The drawings show the air inlet passage intersecting the centerline just above the top of the valve guide. On my casting, the boss for the air inlet is down low, near the bottom of the mixer body. If I were to drill the inlet passage in the middle of the boss, the valve guide would cover most of the passage, effectively choking the engine.

The completed mixer that I saw for sale on the Mini Steam web sight shows it in this lower position also. I'm not sure how to handle this.

If any one has built one of these things and knows what I am trying to explain I would really like to hear from you. Thanks, John.

Hi John,

I bought my Galloway castings in 2000. The mixer drawing is dated 5-13-2000 and the mixer casting supplied was pretty rough and scruffy. I let the castings lay around for several years before starting the build. Before I got to the mixer, Richard Shelly sent me a new mixer casting which was much nicer and a new drawing dated 2-15-2006. The guide for the air valve extends 0.186 into the casting on the new drawing. The shorter guide allows plenty of room for air to flow around the valve stem. The old guide extended 0.406 into the casting which would block air flow. I suspect the builders noticed this problem and made changes as they went.

Do you have the new drawings or the old drawings. Are your castings old enough to have drawings by Alan Shelly.

When I made my mixer, I didn't use the new casting, but fabricated a mixer to simplify some of the internal machining.

Richard Shelly was a great fellow. I really miss seeing him at the model shows.

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck, my drawings are dated Sep.,2011 but the valve guide is shown as .406 long, and it all goes into the mixer body. The casting is very well done but it doesn't make sense that they would go back to the old guide dimensions. The drawing was done by RNW. Could you send me a copy of your newer drawing? Thanks, John.

Latest posts

Back