1/4 scale Galloway help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi, I have completed my 1/4 scale Galloway engine to the point that I have to do the governor and the trip linkage. I have no problem making the parts from the drawings, but I really don't understand how it all works. I think that it would help if I knew exactly what was going on so that I could make adjustments as needed. Is there some place I can go to become more familiar with how this all goes together? Thanks, John

Hi

Have a look at these two 3D pdf files. One Shows the flywheel with the weight and the other the engine base. You should be able to see how they go together. You need to balance the two springs to get the engine to run at a particular speed.

To use 3d PDF just click on the object. Then with your mouse you can rotate, spin, zoom in etc

I have one with the entire engine assembled but it is huge file.

Bob

View attachment Galloway Flywheel Gov.pdf

View attachment Galloway Partial Engine.pdf

Hi John, I just completed a 1/6 scale Galloway. I assume the governor works the same. There is a centrifugal force counterweight mounted on the flywheel.
as the engine speed increases, the counterweight pivots and moves toward the crankshaft, There is a sliding collar on the crankshaft that has a 45 degree bevel that engages with the counter weight. The collar has a yoke with a pivot lever. The governor counterweight rides on the 45 degree beveled collar and causes it to slide on the crankshaft thereby moving the pivot lever. The pivot lever rests on a pin through the cam gear to a lever on the other side. This lever operates the lockout for the valve pushrod. I think the critical part is getting the proper spring adjustment and positioning the flywheel on the crankshaft so the the governor weight engages the sliding collar correctly. There are several Galloway build threads on the internet. Just Google them. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me. Good luck. Rick

Thank you very much for the help. The files and the detailed description make it much clearer. The yoke looks to be a challenge to build though. Any advice there?

That 3D view was awesome. Is there any place I could download the entire file? Thanks, John.

This is how I did the yoke on my 1/3rd version

Hi

Mine is of an 1/8 scale. Here are some photos on how I did the yoke. It was done in one piece on a rotary table, with tilt ability. I took a piece of stock and silver brazed it to a sacrificial base. I carved out everything including tapping the holes. I then heated it up and the part dropped off. I included a shot of all the small parts. See pictures.

Bob

Gov-Arm-1.jpg

Gov-Arm-2.jpg

Gov-Arm-3.jpg

Gov-Arm-4.jpg

Gov-Arm-5.jpg

Gov-Arm-6.jpg

Gov-Arm-7.jpg

Gov-Arm-8.jpg

Small-Parts.jpg

Hi Bob, I finally opened the dropbox. Thanks for the great 3D drawings. They will help a lot. John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back