1 1/2 Scale Shay Building Blog

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Mihelich

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have decided to document every single step of my 1 1/2 scale Shay locomotive build on my special blog site.
I will be showing the good with the bad live as I build.
Of course we always welcome all comments.
Enjoy.

http://shaymaker.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the Heads up, looking forward to the build.

I have been tinkering with the 0-4-0, mostly buying the Brass and steel for the engine.

Tom,
This sounds like fun. I'll be following along.
Dennis

Tom Mihelich said:
Hey Guys,

I have decided to document every single step of my 1 1/2 scale Shay locomotive build on my special blog site.
I will be showing the good with the bad live as I build.
Of course we always welcome all comments.
Enjoy.

http://shaymaker.wordpress.com/

Tom if you could just pop in and leave a note with a link when progress is made. I am interested in following the build but am very bad at remembering to go look.

I love shays! They seem to me to be the tractors of the locomotive world, not much speed but lots of grunt. Cant wait to see this one come together.

Hi Tom,

I'd also like to build a shay. I started by buying the castings for the engine. That's about as far as I got with in about 6 years. I actually want to build a four truck Shay. They were far and few but did exist. I did attempt a start at a web page on my site on building a Shay. Four Truck Shay

Don't know if you know this but there is a nice site put up by Nelson Reidel. I have a link on my web site.

I'll be watching your build with great interest.

Regards,
Bernd

That 4 truck Shay is something else Bernd. 8)
No problem on update posts Steve.

Hi Tom, stainless steel, that ought to be gorgeous when finished.
gbritnell

Very interesting. :eek: At 1-1/2" scale, What are the overall dimensions? Also, what kind of CNC mill are you using?

Good Luck, Thm:
Matt

Hey Matt,

At 1 1/2 scale the Shay will be 62" long and 13 3/8" wide.
It will be a challange for sure but hey, that is why we all do this stuff right? For the challange.
Speaking of challange, I should be tapping some holes for the first time in stainless today. :)
As for the CNC Mill, it is a Smithy 622 machine.
It has worked flawlessly for my thus far and have been very pleased with it.

Tom,

This may help tapping stainless steel.

Angels Breath

1 Part Turpentine
2 Parts White Spirit
3 Parts Olive Oil

In true James Bond style the mixture is Shaken - not stirred.

I've tried it and it works a treat on difficult metals. I first read about it in Model Engineers Workshop.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob

Just curious, will the shay be painted when finished or will it be left "bare stainless"?

Polished bare stainless my friend. Polished bare stainless. 8)

With all the holes tapped it was time to clean up the part.

Oh my...I used some Acetone and started wiping off the blue dye and with most of it coming off. However, I have a fair amount stuck in the grain of the metal! :( I cannot seem to rub anymore out with Acetone. My next step was to try and rub the entire part out with Emery cloth.

Anyone have any better ideas for getting this dye out of the grain?

You might try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser things available at the grocery story. I don't know how they do it but they will get into the grain of most materiials very well like the interiors of cars, leather seats, etc. I don't know if the spongy material is compatible with acetone but it wouldn't cost but a buck or two to fine out. If it is compatible, i think it just might get into the grain of metal too.

Bill

Try some aerosol carburetor cleaner. That always seems to work for me.

Marv,
That was the very next thing I tried. It did not get it out either.
It was even the good nasty brake cleaner.

Try Scotchbrite scouring pads to clean off your stainless pieces. That is what the fitters that work with stainless sheets use to remove the scale and discoloring from the heat. They are readily available in most grocers for a couple of bucks.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back