.019 music wire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boot

Reaction score
I'm in need of a piece of .019 music wire for my Farm Boy engine. I can buy .029 in 10 ft. lengths ,but not the .019 diameter. Can anyone out there point me to a supplier for this. I can get .018 and .020 in 10 ft. lengths. How much of an problem will this cause if I use either one of these? Boot

This is the minimum that they will sell. It's either 10 ft. or spool of various lengths.

Oh by the way I only need enough to make 6 or 7 turn spring 1.5 inches long. Probably less than a foot of it.

I can't see your location, but if you are in the US, check the local hobby shops or Hobby Lobby, or Michaels. They sell 3 ft individual pieces. Usually they have the .020".

Do you have Hobby Lobby or Michaels stores? I just bought music/spring wire and small brass wire and tubing at hobby Lobby. The smallest spring wire they had in stock was .039, but there was a empty slot for smaller, but I didn't see what size it was.

Chuck

I'd guess the .018 or .020 wouldn't be a lot different than .019, which is good because .019 isn't a common size for music wire (as you've found out). If you only need a small amount you could always visit a music store and buy yourself a cheap set of guitar strings with either the .018 or .020 size in there. Sets of guitar strings come in various relative thicknesses so tell the saleperson exactly what you're after and they should be able to help.

You can also buy individual guitar strings at some music stores. Some people like to make up their own sets.

Long time since I made springs for Nortumbrian Small Pipes and longer sincer I repaired a Simple System B flat Clarinet- a Hawkes before they got Boosey( English joke).

So the choices are- Piano Restorers. We have a 1911 7/8th Bluthner Grand Piano
If you had been in North East England, I'd have gone for some from the guys who did ours up.

The second is Ferees Tools in the USA somewhere. I've got their overhaul book- somewhere.

The third is a decent orthodontist or failing that, a dental mechanic. Wife is a retired consultant orthodonist whilst my daughter is one now.

Apart from these, scrap type writers and printers. I have the drawings( somewhere) of an automatic graduating machine.

Hope there is something suitable?

Norman

Oh and model shops- I'd forgotten that I built airplanes

Latest posts

Back