0.125 diameter fiberglass rods--

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Anybody have an idea where I can find such a thing? I need 10 for a new project. All I can think of at the moment is the last foot of a fiberglass fishing rod, which would be near perfect, but too spendy for me, since I need so many.-----Brian

Thanks guys. I have a waterwheel in the stream in my backyard, that I made 4 years ago. I used 1/4" aluminum rods and the ends off 8 stainless steel soup ladles. It has ran faithfully for 4 years, but there is such a high mineral content in the water that the build up on the metal makes the wheel heavier and heavier untill I have to dismantle it and soak it in CLR to clean away the mineral deposits. I'm thinking that perhaps if I construct a new waterwheel from fiberglass and plastic, I won't have as much problem with mineral build up. The wheel is purely ornamental---there isn't enough flow in the stream to power anything with.

Hi Brian

I'll be interested to see how this turns out long term, using fiber glass rods.

I used to live in a town out west with a very high mineral content in the town supply.
It didn't take many months to build up a generous layer of .. let's call it calcium for now.
The host material appeared to make very little difference, Glass sheet, acrylic, anodised aluminium, chrome, brass, glassed tiles and high density Plastics.
All needed a good dose of CLR or the old formula Bicarb & vinegar every couple of weeks just to keep ahead of it.

Maybe an thin application of wax or similar could help - It probably won't stop the buildup but it will wash off a lot easier in hot water before applying a fresh coat.
:)

Bez

Water scale, commonly calcium carbonate but with other trace elements, usually occurs with some heat exchange, be it ever so slight. When a molecule of H2O evaporates it leaves behind a molecule of solids and if it can stick to something, it will. This is how stalactites and stalagmites form.

I used to make a (good) living descaling boilers and cooling towers, etc. using mostly hydrochloric acid, depending on the metal to be treated. But I remember one cooling tower in particular where the coolant was sprayed over a mesh of some plastic or other and the fan blown. It was one of the most difficult cleans I encountered and would have been easier had the mesh been metal, say stainless steel. But Hcl would have destroyed the chromium immediately and nitric acid would be more appropriate, but nastier.

My gut reaction is that most mild descalents would attack the resin holding your fibreglass together, so I'd stick with metal. 4 years ain't bad :)

For once, wood is good. I hope that don't go against the grain here :eek:

Ray

There we go----The new improved waterwheel!!! I upped the rod size to 3/16" from 1/8". An aluminum hub and nylon bushing, and the ends from 10 "Family sized" Coke bottles. Two more arms than the current waterwheel, and only about half the weight.
ASSYOFWATERWHEEL.jpg

Glad you found something that would work i remembered seeing these throught I would throw it out there

Back