Yet another QCTP thread (BXA on AL320G)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am also looking at a QCTP for the Al-320. Is the tool post you purchased from Hare Forbes the "Order Code: L292" for about $200?

John

John, I am really annoyed at H&F because they don't list this QCTP for the AL250G. They tried to sell me another much more expensive item that would have been so hard to fit, even the salesman said don't bother.

But tonight just for you, I took my tablet out to my shed and compared the numbers on the photos for all the tool holders on their site for the L292 and they are exactly the same as mine which I sourced from CTC ex Hong Kong. So yes, buy it!

You will find thought the tool holders, tooling and inserts are a lot cheaper through CTC. I used to save up and spend about $500 at a time. One $800 order including $300 freight would have been $2500+ through H&F.

Rod, Thanks for going to the trouble of checking that out for me. Yes, I notice on the AL-320 that H&F only list a QCTP (QA-150 - L295) for $495.00. I think this is the expensive QCTP that you are referring to. I will go for the the L292 at $200 as you suggested.

Also, thanks for the tip on CTC.

John

I am wondering why people always want to swing their toolposts around and so require to have a quick release on the holding nut?
If your cutting tool is the correct one for the job and has the correct angles on it, then the toolpost should be perfectly square to the spindle to get optimum cutting.
There are only two times I would want to swing my toolpost, and that is when I am single point thread cutting using the half angle method, or if I am working very close to the tailstock and need to hold a tool at the back of the toolpost, so I swing the toolpost through 90 degs. Both times it only takes a few seconds to find the right spanner.

John

Um no. I am always swinging my tool post (as opposed to the top slide) I can perform a number of operations with the one tool just by adjusting the tool post slightly. Facing left an right, turning left or right. an working into a shoulder.
when turning tapers with the top slide it gets even more important to be able to adjust what the tool is doing by moving the tool post leavin the top slide set so that a corresponding taper can be turned on the next work piece and they will match exactly.

Tom R

Rod, Thanks for going to the trouble of checking that out for me. Yes, I notice on the AL-320 that H&F only list a QCTP (QA-150 - L295) for $495.00. I think this is the expensive QCTP that you are referring to. I will go for the the L292 at $200 as you suggested.

Also, thanks for the tip on CTC.

John

Sound like the one they recommend. I think because the lathe is sold as being for 12mm tooling. I've kept with 12mm as I had it for my last lathe. I have a couple of 16mm tools and they work fine on this toolpost. I thought I might need to machine something off the bottom of the holders but so far so good!

The massive 25mm boring bar I got from CTC that fits the BXA holder is absolutely awesome! SO rigid!

I rarely turn my toolpost but it is handy to have the spanner there. I used to do it a fair bit to chamfer after facing but now I use a 45 degree neutral tool. Sometimes I remove it if its in the way as the bolt holding it on is only finger tight. I usually align it using a small set square against the back face.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have been reading your thread with interest as i have an AL320 also and am about to fit the exact same QCTP from CTC to it.
I also have an AL250G that already has the same QCTP fitted and i must say it has been a revelation compared to the QCTP i purchased from H&F at considerable cost many years ago which now resides in a drawer somewhere until i find a use for it.
The CTC unit looks a little chunky on the AL250G but works well and i do like the wedge lock system.
The old unit had a tee bolt arrangement that was tightened with a funny sort of L shaped socket wrench/ spanner and getting that damned tee bolt into the slot on the back of the tool holder was a real pain- i actually had to take to the slot on a few tool holders with a die grinder and a stone to get them to fit and guess what ! The damned tee bolts are different thicknesses so now two of the holders will only lock on one side of the tool post.
There is a similar unit available on EBAY here in Australia but it is a piston lock type and not compatible with the CTC unit although the numbers on the side are the same.
It is approx twice the cost of the CTC unit but you need to take into account the freight cost from China - it is insured though so you could expect to pay more for that.
So in the long run it pays to order a lot in one go as the cost of shipping did not seem linear to the cost of the gear , it seems to go in steps with weight being the deciding factor but there seems to be a reasonable sized window between each level.
So now i run the same unit on two of my lathes but with different tooling ( from H&F) so i can interchange between the two machines and only have to adjust the centre height accordingly.

Disclaimer: I have no association with any of the above mentioned suppliers other than being a customer - happy or otherwise.
If you want the name of the EBAY supplier send me a PM or do a search on the EBAY site ( Australia) for QCTP - can't vouch for the quality though !

I noticed in the pictures of the AL320 compound slide that the area on the square boss that the tool post sits on is that it is flat , mine has a circular spigot around the tool post mounting bolt - did you machine yours off or did it not have one ?

Regards ..
Ian

Sound like the one they recommend. I think because the lathe is sold as being for 12mm tooling. I've kept with 12mm as I had it for my last lathe. I have a couple of 16mm tools and they work fine on this toolpost. I thought I might need to machine something off the bottom of the holders but so far so good!

The massive 25mm boring bar I got from CTC that fits the BXA holder is absolutely awesome! SO rigid!

I rarely turn my toolpost but it is handy to have the spanner there. I used to do it a fair bit to chamfer after facing but now I use a 45 degree neutral tool. Sometimes I remove it if its in the way as the bolt holding it on is only finger tight. I usually align it using a small set square against the back face.

Rod,

I was just looking on the CTC website at the QCTP. Did you purchase the 250-200 BXA at $180.00? Is that the same as Hare Forbes sell?

John

Rod,

I was just looking on the CTC website at the QCTP. Did you purchase the 250-200 BXA at $180.00? Is that the same as Hare Forbes sell?

John

John, yes, I did not check the numeric code but the BXA is the one I ordered. They are heavy so H&F is better priced. I think CTC now list the tool holders separately. They cost me $20 or so at CTC which is a lot better than H&F. Back then there was no listing so I'd add a Paypal Note with my payment and he'd add them on to my order and send me a Paypal invoice.

John, yes, I did not check the numeric code but the BXA is the one I ordered. They are heavy so H&F is better priced. I think CTC now list the tool holders separately. They cost me $20 or so at CTC which is a lot better than H&F. Back then there was no listing so I'd add a Paypal Note with my payment and he'd add them on to my order and send me a Paypal invoice.

All sounds good. I will go for the H&F QCTP. I will certainly use CTC for tools that aren't too heavy - they look very competitive in comparison with H&F.

Thanks for your advice Rod.

John

I realise everyone here has gone for the Aloris style AXA and BXA tool posts, but as the Dickson/Dixon style has been mentioned a few times I thought I'd just post a warning for anyone that may consider them in future:

The H&F Dickson style holders are NOT interchangeable with Dickson style from other vendors!!
The Dickson style is very popular in the UK on Myford and Boxford machines, I also use the Dickson S0 size on my Sieg SC4.
Out of interest, I took one of my holders to H&F just to see if it would fit their QA-100 tool post and no.... there was a massive difference in the fit even though the overall dimensions are almost identical.

This means anyone buying a H&F/TM(Tool Master) Dickson type will be stuck with only having H&F/TM holders available to suit at greatly inflated pricing.

From reports in various forums, the Myford, Bison and Soba branded Dickson types ARE interchangeable and the holders are available for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of those at H&F.

Unfortunately the QA-140 piston type(BXA, 250-200) is too large for the SC4, as is the AXA (250-100) from CTC.
It's a shame that CTC don't have the 0XA (250-000) size as this suits 7" and 8" machines. The only option for these is LMS and Tormach, with killer shipping.

Last edited:

Hi Rod,

I get the 320 delivered next week. I was waiting for the H&F sales.

I have purchased the bolt for the QCTP. However, I would like to know what length of shank you ended up with. I was wondering if I need extra length on the 10 mm tap to be able to reach far enough. I haven't got the lathe here at the moment so I am not able to check it.

Thanks John

Hi Rod,

I get the 320 delivered next week. I was waiting for the H&F sales.

I have purchased the bolt for the QCTP. However, I would like to know what length of shank you ended up with. I was wondering if I need extra length on the 10 mm tap to be able to reach far enough. I haven't got the lathe here at the moment so I am not able to check it.

Thanks John

John, I just measured things for you. The 16mm shank is about 94.5mm long. The large hole in the bolt is 48mm long and the stud on the 320 is 69mm long and the M10 thread is 29mm long.

An ordinary M10 tap is about 70mm long to the square shank. So a bottoming tap will cut a thread long enough if you screw it in as far as you can so the square shank is part way in the hole. I had a long shank drill bit and i drilled the bolt M10 right through but it was not necessary to go right through. An ordinary drill bit will drill far enough from the head end to meet the larger hole.

My bolt got tapped from both ends when I added the ring spanner later on.

Hi Rod,

That's great, thanks for going to that trouble for me.

I have ordered some 10 mm taps from CTC Tools and I have already got the bolt. I am hoping to get the lathe delivered on Thursday. I will start the modification to QCTP as soon as I receive the taps. I will let you know when I have finished.

I appreciate your help. John

John, I just measured things for you. The 16mm shank is about 94.5mm long. The large hole in the bolt is 48mm long and the stud on the 320 is 69mm long and the M10 thread is 29mm long.

An ordinary M10 tap is about 70mm long to the square shank. So a bottoming tap will cut a thread long enough if you screw it in as far as you can so the square shank is part way in the hole. I had a long shank drill bit and i drilled the bolt M10 right through but it was not necessary to go right through. An ordinary drill bit will drill far enough from the head end to meet the larger hole.

My bolt got tapped from both ends when I added the ring spanner later on.

HI Rob,

I have now received the Al-320 and ready to unpack and move into my workshop. I was reading the manual regarding the headstock and wondered what type of oil you are using to top up and change when required?

I have read that you can use hydraulic tractor oil. I have some of this oil, however, I thought I would check first to see if it is ok to use.

Regards, John

Hi John, hydraulic oil is fine for use in head stocks and the saddle as well.

Paul.

X2 Hare and Forbes sell it for that purpose as well. My lathe has been running it in the headstock and all over the ways since new as my filler bung broke and it dropped the oil on day 1.

Hi Rod,

I finally got the lathe up and running. I made the QCTP chicago bolt today and it turned out great.

Thanks for your help and posting your experience. Simple to make and does the job perfect.

John

You guys must get sick of seeing these sort of posts, but here is another one!

Hare & Forbes wanted AUD $500 for a QCTP (I think it is a Dickson Style). The salesman reckons no one bothers to buy it as it is a major job to fit it to the AL320G that has a tool post like this:

DSC_2461_zpsd5cda19d.jpg

Hi Rod,

I have the same lathe and want to do this to mine as well but its different than yours ? Here are some pictures of it but I don't know if the QCTP will fit as it has a shoulder attached to the top of the X/slide where the QCTP would go ? Dose that QCTP of yours have a hole in the bottom of it that would fit over this shoulder thing ?

IMG_20150501_115913_703[1].jpg

IMG_20150501_115948_822[1].jpg

IMG_20150501_120001_279[1].jpg

IMG_20150501_120017_161[1].jpg

What is the diameter of the boss? If it is 16mm or less, the QCTP will fit over it, if not, it looks like you have an exercise with a 4 jaw chuck to bore the recess in the QCTP holder. From what I've heard, they are hardened on the outside but once you get through that, they'll machine OK.

Latest posts

Back