Yahoo groups

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
I dare say like many I used to use the Yahoo groups a lot for some of the varied interests I have.

Since they went over to the new Neo format some while ago things have gone from bad to worse.
Even worse if you 'own' a group or two as I do. It make you have to jump thru hoops to approve new members etc but it was workable - just.

Recently I have found that I can open the main groups page easily enough but that's it. If I click on a post then I get the circling sharks and nothing else. I use firefox but tried IE and Chrome, same on both.

Add to this the reported Yahoo problems and I feel it's time to get a couple of the more popular groups off Yahoo and onto a dedicated forum, possibly under the Homeworkshop umbrella but separate from it.

However fisrt I need to get back on the save files and photo's. Any ideas and is anyone else having problems with Yahoo groups.

Unfortunately I can't offer a lot of help with Yahoo, they have for all intents gone over to the dark side, not caring about their users. Frankly the demands for more and more user information is excessive.

That being said I'm still signed up for a few as a user, some more active than others. There is some good about the way that Yahoo's groups allow communications between users. However I really like the form of this site and especially accessing it via my iPad.

So given that I wouldn't mind seeing this site expand a bit, possibly with more major topic headings. However let's not take focus to far off the main purpose of this site. For example the building and maintenance of equipment (machines and fixtures) is common to this hobby, a requirement really, so expansion of this site to cover related machining makes sense.

New tech like 3D printing probably should be considered also. At least in the context of a threads focused on building the machines and using them in model making. As noted above I consider machine building as much a focus as model building itself as it is often a requirement to realize a model.

So thoughtful expansion of this site wouldn't be rejected by me at all. The only real problem it creates is the formation of yet another way to sink more time.

Latest posts

Back