X3, Sx3 or RF45 owners... input needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Trying to start a business has me quickly out growing my equipment. Currently I have a X2 but am considering going to a X3 (or even a RF-45 clone). I do need to know some things though. My shop is to say the least vertically challenged. With the height I have my X2 (comfortable for me) I am not sure I would have the room for a RF clone... maybe the X3. So what I need to know is this... how tall is each machine from the base to the top of the head (with it fully up)??

Anyone?

Many thanks in advanced

Eric

Eric, I have a low ceiling too. My Industrial Hobbies extends up to about 60" tall with motor and the head all the way up, which I think is standard for RF-45's. I have it on a 24" high stand, and I can operate it sitting comfortably on a stool. The low table makes for easy loading of heavy vises and workpieces. I can operate the mill standing as well, but it's most comfortable seated.

FWIW, I think Enco has these mills on sale at the moment. They make a nice CNC platform should you desire to up your production efficiency.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

BW

Eric,

Not an owner however I have an older Warco catalogue on my desk, their 45 clone (super major) is shown as being 84" in height with the stand being 24 1/2".

Hope this is of assistance.

Al

Devil's Advocacy PS: If you are outgrowing 'hobby' sized machinery would an even larger mill, ie a BP clone, be a better bet in the long run?

Eric I just measured my X-3 and it's 33.5" tall. Mine also has a homemade crane/compound pulley/counterweight system that adds another 20" to the height.

DickDastardly40 said:
Devil's Advocacy PS: If you are outgrowing 'hobby' sized machinery would an even larger mill, ie a BP clone, be a better bet in the long run?

Al, believe me I have thought about it. Right now, I am stuck working in the basement with very low ceilings. There really isn't a way for me to get a larger sized machine down there. If I took it completely apart maybe. There are future plans to get the garage rebuilt... right now it is a detached glorified shed. It leaks, is falling down and has no power. Once I do that, I could have bigger machines.

Eric

Cut a hole in the living room floor above, box around and call it an end table or TV stand? :)Good luck selling that one to the powers that be

HI Eric,
I have the X3 mill/drill and it's 37 1/2" from bench top to the top of the spindle when the head is fully raised. I have it sitting on a Craftsman work bench which is 37" from floor to worktable which is a mite high. Keep in mind that when the mill head is fully raised you need a few inches above it to change R8 tooling by tapping the spindle.

Cheers,
Phil

My ZX45 (rf 45) is almost 7' high, mounted on a mill/drill stand with machine mounts (hockey puck version) but is a very nice machine for the money and would give you a larger capacity if you think you would need it.

Latest posts

Back