X2 spindle/motor heat?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
Using my X2 mini-mill, I did a flycutting operation.

I believe I wrongly had it in the high speed range.
I have the belt drive conversion.
I was taking relatively light cuts...maybe 5 thou. Maybe 10 at most. (Or thought so.)

Aside from the motor stalling several times, I noticed the spindle got hot as well as the motor. Later I was using an end-mill but didn't notice the heat. However, I wasn't running it as long as the flycutter.

I also noticed the flycutting tool wasn't the sharpest and things improved when I honed it some.

The part I was cutting is smaller than the diameter of the flycutting arc. So a lot of interrupted cutting was going on.

One last thing...there are 4 screws used to mount the motor. I had to replace one of them with a slightly longer screw. I can't imagine the screw would come up against anything rotating that would result in friction.

I'm going to keep an eye on it...but if anyone has some thoughts or suggestions...I'd appreciate it.

I had a motor on my MM X2 that ran what I thought was very hot. I had even mounted a CPU fan on top to pull xtra air through it. Notice I say "had" as it burnt up (shorted windings) after 50-75 hours of run time. MM gave me a new motor (props for that) and this one now has the same fan plus I added some external cooling fins. The fins are from some rather large CPU heatsinks that I milled down thin enough to bend to the shape of the motor. Not sure the fins will help but can't hurt. I also stripped all the paint off the motor shell to help with heat transfer. We'll see if it can handle a hot TX summer soon enough.

zeeprogrammer said:
Using my X2 mini-mill, I did a flycutting operation.

I believe I wrongly had it in the high speed range.
I have the belt drive conversion.
I was taking relatively light cuts...maybe 5 thou. Maybe 10 at most. (Or thought so.)

Aside from the motor stalling several times, I noticed the spindle got hot as well as the motor. Later I was using an end-mill but didn't notice the heat. However, I wasn't running it as long as the flycutter.

I also noticed the flycutting tool wasn't the sharpest and things improved when I honed it some.

The part I was cutting is smaller than the diameter of the flycutting arc. So a lot of interrupted cutting was going on.

One last thing...there are 4 screws used to mount the motor. I had to replace one of them with a slightly longer screw. I can't imagine the screw would come up against anything rotating that would result in friction.

I'm going to keep an eye on it...but if anyone has some thoughts or suggestions...I'd appreciate it.
hi, Regarding the heat build up, i use a lot of dc motors and they all generate heat to a lesser / greater extent , chinese motors are not the best built machines so i suggest you just keep an eye on it.One i had ran very hot but lasted a while before burning out,just hope it gives up before the guarantee!
regards coldte

Back