X1 or X2

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

baldrocker

Hi all.
Need some thoughts from experienced guys.
Considering a new Siege X1 mill (fits my budget) but am a bit
concerned that it may not be able to handle the work i.e.
model steam engine making and small lathe tools etc, or would I be better
off saving biccies and getting an X2.
Thanks
BR

Not that I have much experience, but my X1 seems to do alright. The main consideration seems to be paying more careful attention to depth of cut, and speeds & feeds. If you take too big a bite, it'll let you know by chattering like girls night out.

You also have to take care not to stall it out, as the gears aren't the highest quality, but so far I've just taken it easy, and it cuts fine.

If I could get another, bigger one, I'd do it. But the deal I got on this one means I can afford more accessories like parallels, more cutters, etc.

I currently have an X2 .............. I would say bigger the better ............. if you can fit in a Bridgeport then do it 8) ....... imho ;)

CC

BR,
I too, have an X2. I have to agree with CC, bigger is better. Save up for an X3. Or a little longer and get a Bridgie or similar.

The X2 is fine, and if you get one take the time to go over every detail very, very carefully. These machines are not finished or assembled to the highest quality. Consider them a kit. Most of the pieces are there, but not completely finished. Take nothing for granted. Check every alignment possible. You will have to make corrections somewhere.

The X2 is not a bad machine but it does have it's limitations. It's lightweight, for a mill. The frame is flexible and gets out of alignment easily.

Kevin

X2 varient

X1 was a tad underpowered for copper and 4130 steel

tryed my X2 and said "Wrap it up"

my dealer has em on demo and invites folks to try them with thier materials

cheers

jack

If you've not used a mill before and don't have a mentor standing over you with a stick, there's a lot to be said for starting with a little one with cheap and available parts. I still hanker for a Bridgeport, but my little Taig does what I need it to.

I'd consider the X2 the absolute minimum, preferably an X3 (or an RF30 ;) )

Thanks Guys
Looks like its a wait and save up thing not my long suit
but needs must.
BR

BR ............. I should really say that I find the X2 a capable little machine and if your just doing small parts and not machining much steel (or anything harder) it's probably all you'll ever need :bow: ............ I must admit I now have a hankering for something a little bigger but time will tell on that one.

CC

One advantage to me is that the X1 uses MT2 taper, which is the same as my minilathe. So, I can use the same tool holders and chucks in both, saving me from buying a whole second set. This savings can mean the difference between getting some stock & tools and starting making something, or waiting another few months or a year. Waiting and dreaming gets old, fast.

You really want to start out making smaller/simpler stuff first, to get the hang of the machines and how to get good fits and finishes anyway. By the time you really "need" the larger machine, you'll have already learned to use the smaller one, and saved up. There is a pretty decent market for used machines, so you can recoup at least part of the cost, and most of the tooling you'll keep for the bigger mill.

Will I get a larger mill? Probably. In the meantime, it takes a little longer to do some stuff and I have limited capacity - no big deal. I recommend you get what you can afford without stretching the budget. Figure at least 100 bucks worth of Harbor Freight (or similar) tooling to get you started. By the time you can afford a bigger machine, you'll know better what features and capabilities you need to help you select the right machine for you.

I have a X2 (Grizzly Mini Mill), and just purchased a used Clausing 8520. You can do lots of milling in the lathe, I started with a little Taig, and built some nice engines with it. Don't let not having a mill stop you from building any engines. I purchased my Mini Mill, which I out grew, and now have the Clausing. I only have 6 foot 3 inch ceilings in my basement, so the Clausing was as large as I could go and still get the draw bar out. The other advantage of getting an older american made mill is if down the road you want to get rid of it, in most cases you will be able to get more out of it than you paid for it. A Chinese mill will not be worth as much used. Although the smaller mills seem to hold their price better than the larger ones. I don't have anything against Chinese equipment either, My large lathe is Chinese, as well as much of my other equipment. Use your lathe, and save for the biggest mill you can afford, and have room for. I found the Clausing on Craigs List for a very fair price. I would like a Bridgeport, and had 2 given to me but they would not fit in the basement.

Dale

Back