X1 drawbar?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris333

Reaction score
Hello,

I received my Harbor Freight Micro Mill (X1) yesterday and started cleaning. I un-screwed the drawbar a bit and gave it a few taps with a jeweler hammer. The chuck popped right out and I put in a collet and drawbar from Little Machine Shop. After I was done unscrewed and tapped it out, re-installed the stock drill chuck.

Now today I needed to change it out again and basically I'm beating the hell out of the drawbar and it won't come loose.

What do you guys do?

I don't know what to suggest. Usually i just loosen my drawbar 2-3 turns and doink it with the wrench.

Is it possible there may have been some kind of debris on the collet when you put it in like chips from using the machine. Anything you insert into the spindle needs to be super clean.

In that case you might have to just give her a few good wacks and it should come out.

Well I was whackin' it enough that the chuck fell off of the taper, then a few more whacks and the taper finally fell came loose.

How to I put the chuck back together, just press?
IMG_7291.jpg

Sorry for the noobie question...

Clean both surfaces very clean and oil free. Insert the taper into the chuck and push them together and twist at the same time. I did 3 of them that way and there was very little runout and never had one come off.

Chris333 said:
Sorry for the noobie question...

Chris,
There is no need to apologize for asking a question. Nor should you have any fear of asking one. We are all here to both help and learn.

Adding a dab of oil to the taper may help it release. Just a light film is all that is needed, but be aware that oil also helps hold very small chips so make sure you keep it clean. Also, be aware of how tight you crank on the draw bar. A Morse taper like you have just needs to be snug, no need to make it white-knuckle tight.

Are you using the right drawbar.

The LMS collets are 3/16 IIRC.

The Machine has a metric drawbar.

So perhaps by using the inch collet on the metric drawbar it messed up the threads.

But I am far from an expert.

Cleanliness is next to ... impossible. No, that's not how it goes but, nevertheless, as advised, keep the spindle bore clean. A good tool for this job is a suitably sized shotgun cleaning mop mounted to a handle. The soft cottony material acts like a magnet for tiny chips, etc.. Make one for your lathe while you're about it.

Back