X-3 gear lube?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
What do you X-3 mill owners lube your spindle gears with?

I've sprayed mine down through the access plate behind the motor with white lube (lithium base I think) from a spray can a few times in the year and a half I've owned it . Is there anything better? I haven't seen any recommendations anywhere.

I think it was Mgyver that said (something like) ...... in "the absence of specific instructions SAE 30 is a good failsafe" ............ and; .... to be fair, .... I can find no real issue with that statement ;)

CC

G'day DickyBird

I use a product called Mobilene 20

its a light petroleum jelly i'm told, been told its a mix of oil and jelly too

a tad thicker than 30 weight oil so it sticks a bit better (no drips)

i used this on a lot of things over the years where i want lube but dont want the lube flying off.

my friend who is a expert used chain lube on his gears i asked why and was told a similar reason, it sticks and lubes.

Sadly my manual only states

Lubricating oil
Lubricating grease

bummer eh

i'll stick with my mobilene 20 until told something better

cheers

jack

I've owned the Grizzly X3 model for just a year. When I saw this post I thought, "geez did I miss something"? I checked my manual and there isn't a reference to greasing those gears. There is an oil port in the cast iron cover that fits over the spindle top. As far as I can tell, oil added there dribbles down on the gears. I add oil to the oil ports on my X3 everytime I use it and every few months spray some lithium grease on the lead screws, but that's it.

Cheers,
Phil

Back