wobble broaching tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockie

Reaction score
sorry been busy making a wobble broaching tool,have had no free time,if you know of this tool,you will know that in makes square hex or any shape hole the cutter is.
if your never heard of this tool,goggle wobble broaching tool,you will be amased how it works.
also working on exhaust pipe bender machine,have a new project with my son putting a v8 into a 4cylinder toyota hilux.

Got any pictures of the tool or better still, a video ?

hi herbie,
sorry no pictures or vid,as i am just learning this new thing called a computer,daughter is helping so will be able to send photos soon i hope.
what i did was watched u tube of all home made tool and took a little from each and made my one.
first try was 8mm hex hole in aluminum,worked great then mild steel,also great.
going to keep increasing size to find the limit of this tool,my guess it will be around 12 to 14 mm,now working on an external broaching tool for small splines on shafts
regards lockie p.s. if i can help you just ask

G'day Lockie, I have watched videos of these wobble tools and it is simply ingenious how they work.

I would be very interested to see and here how you went about making the wobble tool.
It would also be good to see how you go about making the broach, though I would only imagine you would need a fairly powerful press to use one.

Eddie

hi eddie,
all my broaching will be done in my lathe 900mm between centres.
the outside broaching cutter will be made with the internal broaching tool then hardened,i made a indexing holder to grind my hex cutter.
if your got the time and no money its surprising what you can come up with.
but i got to stay away from U tube as it keeps giving me more ideas,my head is full of things i want to make.
the most important part of the tool is the 1degree off set,that creates the cutting action,and the prep work drilling the pilot hole for the cutter to begin the broaching. i spent weeks searching all info before starting making my tool.
i spent around 40 hours making it as i had to make jigs and things.
cost all up around $100.oo including 600mm round 1/2h.s.s. rod for cutters, that was the hardest to get and the most expensive, not many carry round hss,regards lockie

If you search for "rotary broaching" at YT or Google, you'll find a lot.

Nick

hi to all who replied about broaching tool,all the links to making your own tool are a great help,but for me a picture is worth a thousand words,i study the pictures work out how i can make it with what machinery i have and most of all my own ability. i have no engineering training,only what i have learnt and by lots of failures,and have been shown by others how to do somethings.
i guess what iam trying to say is no matter what way you choose to make something,have a go and learn by your mistakes,at least you tried,so many say i could make that ,but never do.
kens videos on broaching tool are very helpful and interesting,thanks to you Ken i now have a broaching tool,regards lockie

Sorry to revive this necro-thread ... but I have not been able to access any of the threads/plans/videos linked above. Do old threads eventually disappear? Or is there a way to find these? I find myself in need of a rotary broach, and thought I'd see what others have done before re-inventing the wheel ...

Ken, many thanks. That took me to a "thread" with a single post in it - and the post had a link to your WOBBLER plans in .zip format. Just what I need! I like your design, and probably will do a slight variation on it to suit the materials I have on hand.

I often make a rectangular openings in metal plates using progressively smaller end mills. You still end up with rounded corners. Can a square wobbling rotary broach be used to square off these corners?
Grasshopper

Alec, I am not sure what boring bars you are referring to. (I confess I haven't watched more than just a few seconds here and there of the video, so perhaps something in the video?)

Latest posts

Back