Will this work?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I found this animation of an interesting Hot-Air engine at Matt Keveney's Animation site http://www.keveney.com/Engines.html

AlphaAni.gif

Most 2 cylinder/2 piston Hot-Air engines I have seen have one "loose" piston (displacer). This engine has both pistons sealed. After studying this animation I think it will work. The animation appears to show a sealed crankcase, but I suppose it would have to be open to the atmosphere to allow it to push the piston back.

What do you think?

Hi Ironhorse

It's correct as far as animations go. I believe it is the Alpha Configuration.
The cross-hatch bit is the regenerator. [economiser]
A stirling engine can be pressurised, many commercial ones are. Hence enclosed crank.
More working fluid = more power.
Google Stirling & configuration it's all there, if you have the time. :D

Ah!! EDIT Having looked at the site it says it is an Alpha ::)

Dave

Why I ask is because I was thinking of making a engine like this. Basically the same proportions, maybe scaled to get a 3/4" piston size. Maybe use graphite pistons to get a lower friction and some copper scrub pad material for the regenerator.

Hi Ironhorse

Yup. Make one. They're great fun if you get 'em to run.
There's a lot on the web about them also on this forum.
I made two, Gammas, in the '70's. One was thrown together almost, using the dimensions of a published design.
It went very well. The other, to almost my own design, superbly engineered, a credit to it's builder, could hardly drag itself around. It was eventually re-engineered by a guy who knew what he was doing, and that too worked well.
Moral .. Beware of deviating from 'standard' measurements. You need to scale volumes and ratios of volumes, not linear dimensions.

I'm thinking of going back to them in the near future, myself.
Too flaming cold in the shop at the moment, also waiting for delivery of new mill..another tale :(

Best of luck, I'm sure most engines work sooner or later

Dave

Latest posts

Back