Will this damage my mini-lathe?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignalFailure

Reaction score
Being a cautious type and having heard horror stories about flying chuck keys I always start my lathe with the 'speed control' - if the key was in or something was fouling something else it would be less painful or damaging at low speed ;)

I've seen lots of other people just set up the work, set the speed and hit the start button.

The worst thing I've done to date is start a facing operation while inadvertantly having the carriage locked to the leadscrew - thanks to the low speed I just ended up with a nice bevelled end before I could hit the stop button!

Anyway, the question is, will starting in this way cause excess wear? I usually allow the chuck to make a few revs at ultra-low speed to make sure all is well and the nasty noise it makes is what causes me some concern!

TIA

Paul

SF IIRC the manual such as it is recommends starting at slowest speed. I always felt this puts less shock on the motor and belt. I have an older model with out an e-stop on it . I think the newer ones are wired more like the mini mill that only has the rheostat and e- stop that has to be started at low speed.
I have considered adding a reverse switch to my mini mill.
I would say what you are doing is good practice.
I put a lathe together for a friend it is powered by a tread mill motor that has to be started at low speed. the controller will not let it start otherwise.
Tin

Latest posts

Back