Why I cast my own models

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
In another thread, Magyver asked about working with a foundry.

I'll start my tale at the beginning. I had been dreaming about casting metal since my late teens. I read all I could find on it, I dreamed about the fantastic models that I could make, but I never did any casting. I was afraid to try. There was a few things that I needed to build that were time consuming an a little expensive. I didn't want to mess them up. I didn't want to not like casting and be stuck with this stuff. So I was just content with reading about it and dreaming of the great stuff I could build:O)

In a near by town there is a brass foundry. I went to talk to the owner one day about having a couple doodads that I needed cast. I was disappointed and a little mad when he quoted me $500 to cast them. After thinking about it for a while I realized why his quote was so high. He simply didn't want to do them. It's bad business in my book, because you don't know who a customer is. Work asked me about getting some of our stuff cast and his name never came up:O)

Fast forward a year or so. I was still a little miffed that I couldn't get things cast. My wife and I were headed to Oregon for a vacation. Little did she know that the Gears show was awaiting us:O) We saw the sights along the coast and made it to Portland just in time for the shows opening. When we got there I was tickled pink when I found out that there would be a fellow there doing casting demonstrations:O) How great of a surprise is that! Anyway, I watched him closely for the first couple pores. I then asked him if I could help. He was glad to have someone clean and mull his sand. I learned a lot that weekend. The main thing was that it's not nearly as hard as I imagined and that I could do this.

The day after we got home I started rounding up stuff to make my foundry:O)

Later, Wes

I would love to learn to cast. It is on my list of things to do this year (my wife wants to learn to blacksmith, so I have even more of an excuse for a backyard foundry).

I would like to have someone experienced by me so I could at least watch once (or more) before I start.

How about some tips for those of us about to start Wes?

Eric

You know if people weren't so paranoid about where they lived perhaps some local person would offer
to help. It's the same with a lot of other subjects (ie. not just this one). I for one am not going to
go to a lot of trouble to find where someone is to offer help. I've never been afraid to use my name
and where I live on any of the BB s (I read 5 or 6)
[rant off]
...lew...

Ya know! I was raised on a farm, and one of the pesty things we had to put up with was gophers. So us kids, to have something to do, would take a bucket full of water out in the field and pour it down the gopher hole. When the gopher would come up for air, we'd bop him.
Pouring molten metal down a hole in a flask is very much the same as pouring water down a gopher hole. The main difference is you don't get to bop the gopher.
All I can say to wanabes is try it, I think you'll like it. If you screw up, big deal, melt it down and try again. Every time you have one that does not turn out, not all is lost, you will learn something not to do next time. I cannot count high enough to list my casting failures, and I'll bet Wes is starting to loose track too, but he is catching on fast.
Birk

The reason a guy makes his own castings is because he can, and its part of the fun..
I am just started building my first steam engine and am slamming wood together for patterns so I can cast the various parts..Except that I thoroughly despise sawdust in my metals shop , this is going to work fine..

Brass_Machine said:
I would love to learn to cast. It is on my list of things to do this year ...

Eric

Casting as such is not that hard - making accurate patterns is quite difficult and for one off work time consuming.

Getting Consistently good casts is a black art. We cast aluminium, pewter silver and some brass when we get enough scrap. Although we have a commercial furnace it's just a big insulated gas hob.

I don't do much of this as I have a colleague who actually enjoys it but have helped and do quite a bit of small scale pewter and silver casting for jewellery. Generally I make moulds from MDF with the CNC router (much more accurate and faster).

We are currently casting a pewter school badge for every pupil - about 700 at 3 at a time. Slow going.

Lots of information on the web - Be careful and for me I would lay down a sand tray to catch any over spill because dropping molten metal on damp concrete is an experience I don't need to have (again). correct clothing is also a good ides including spats to cover shoes, metal splash in your boots makes for an interesting dance - in foundries they often keep a bucket to plunge feet into in such cases.

Casting would be a great way to expand the capabilities of a small CNC router to the world of metal. I have such a router:

P3243875.JPG

It was well under $1000 all in but for the PC. It will cut aluminum but only very slowly. OTOH, it should crank out MDF molds very nicely. You could make any number of small castings for model engines with such a rig.

Cheers,

BW

BobWarfield said:
Casting would be a great way to expand the capabilities of a small CNC router to the world of metal. I have such a router:

BW
Bob
With that router, yes making patterns for metalscasting is good use for the cnc and too a guy could be using such router for making small plastic injection molds....I been gonna build lil tabletop injection molding machine for a while, there isnt anything to making one yet its then gives new capability for an already capable guy.Always another horizon.

Wes,

do you feel like taking some pictures of you r foundry setup? Maybe giving a few details on how you made it? I have been researching it and have seen several from Barkyard Casting. Can you recommend any books? Help me get started Wes ;D

Eric

It's on my to do list. Not to be confused with my ta da list:eek:) I went out to fire up my furnace last weekend and there was 2" of mud all around it:eek:( So It will have to wait a couple more weeks till everything dries out a bit. But Yea, Plan on lots of engine related foundry topics.

I have access to some neat CNC machines right now. I just finished the patterns for another small stirling. I might start a topic on it? I haven't decided yet? Tonight I'm starting on the plans for a larger stirling engine that will have a 2 1/2" power piston. I have some old plans and I'm going to change them up a bit so I can cast it easer. I think they will both work out really great.

Later, Wes

Also, If there are any particular questions, please let me know. I'll do my best to find out If I don't know.

Later, Wes

Hey, I know that voice! Welcome Steve.

tel said:
Hey, I know that voice! Welcome Steve.
Yeah Hello Terry
Swede told me about this site when I asked over at the hobby gunbuilding group if anybody knew of an active forum discussing steam engines..This'n is the most actively participated of all I have found..I glad to be here, lots of talented guys gitten'er done....inspirational..
Steven

Another reason I like to cast is because it is fun!!! I like the reaction that I get from people that think a screwdriver is mystifying to them:eek:) You know who I'm talking about. I like to be able to pore my own parts. Also, I can make a little on the side to help finance my hobbies.

Here's my $0.02 (CAD):

I wish I could cast metal all day (and still pay my mortgage). I don't know what it is, but there's something mesmerizing about watching metal - which most people think is virtually indestructible - melt away into a shiny glowing liquid.

And all of this for very minimal cost. A fair bit of effort, but all said and done probably $100 - $200 spent when you consider all of the travel, scrounging, and some of the parts that were bought for safety's sake.

Have a look here:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/sparky961/Metalworking/Foundry/

(If you've already seen this gallery, I just added descriptions for each photo that you might want to check out.)

These are photos from around 2003 when I built my first furnace. Although the refractory is now starting to turn to glass, and the end of the tuyere that I so carefully ground to shape is falling apart, it still works very well.

If anyone is looking for advice on getting up and running on the cheap with a home foundry that will melt aluminum (also brass, and glass), I have at least a little bit of experience with this and can provide detailed pictures of any components you're needing some help with.

I learned from a lot of online resources, like BackyardMetalCasting and the Hobby Foundry Ring, so I don't claim to be an expert. But sometimes it just takes someone else who's actually "done it" to clear up some of the things left out of the write-ups. :)

Sparky
You mention your furnace able to melt glass. I wonder if you have done it. I want to do some amateur glass blowing, I would like to know what dirty little adventures I could get into without making special investment , want to just use the furnace I have....And I have heat treating furnace could use for letting the strain out of the glass...Want to blow glass globe for oilers..Reckon I oughtta just try it see what happens?

Wolf:

I've never done anything useful with the apparent ability to melt glass. I'm not even sure if I'm getting it to the proper temperature to do a good job of it.

I just had some broken glass sitting around and I wanted to see if I could melt it. :)

Does someone have numbers handy as to the difference in temperatures required to melt aluminum and glass? Maybe I'm just running my furnace way too hot!

-Brian

I can't help with the temperatures but I'm sure that information is on the web somewhere - after all, everything else is. Good way to improve your Google-fu.

I can say that I've successfully blown small (<1.5" diameter) glass globes using nothing more than an alcohol blow lamp.

Hello, I also am interested in casting my own aluminum castings so would like to see how you made yours. Have you any plans or pictures? What fuel does it run on?

Mike

Latest posts

Back