Which slitting saw arboour to get?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I can see a time soon when I will want to use a slitting saw on my mill.
Which arbour am I better to get?

A 1/2 inch straight arbour that I can hold in a er32 collet or one that has a morse taper on it to fit to the mill in place of my er32 chuck?

The straight shanked one means I don't need to swap out the chuck on my mill which saves a lot of messing around but I'm also assuming it won't be as steady as the one with the morse taper.

What does everyone else use?

Get??? Make you mean - they are a pleasant little exercise and you can make what you want, not what some factory thinks you want. Personally, I'd go with the 1/2" shank and collet. That the way I've done my three.

tel said:
Get??? Make you mean - they are a pleasant little exercise and you can make what you want, not what some factory thinks you want. Personally, I'd go with the 1/2" shank and collet. That the way I've done my three.

Make?
I hadn't thought of that.
Anyone got any plans or some photos to the one they have made to give me inspiration?

I would avoid the arbors with the spring-loaded centres. You can make a much more rigid arbor with very little effort. The spring-loaded centre arbor that I bought was essentially useless - not a good fit on the cutter bore and the clamping faces were a long way off perpendicular to the axis. Fortunately they were soft enough to true up, but even then the support to the slitting saw was not good.

Ditto on the crappy spring loaded universal arbors. I bought one and promptly made something else out of it. ::)

Here's a link to one I made for a carbide-toothed blade I picked up at Home Depot. It works great. It has a 3/4" shaft and I use it in a 3/4" R-8 collet; it's very rigid. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=542.0

I also made 2 other dedicated arbors for HSS slitting blades. I wish I could make one with an adjustable center to adjust out the runout in my conventional HSS slitters. They all have terrible runout and don't even use many of the teeth! I hardly use them now that I got the carbide blade. That thing is awesome.

Latest posts

Back