Which live steam?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchg07261995

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to buy a live steam model locomotive. And I am wondering if you guys can help me choose one to save for
What I would like
1) 1'' scale
2) coal fired
3) I want to be able to ride it around
4) something that is reasonably priced (definnetely not 20k) somewhere below 10k
5) not to big, something that I can sit on top of a counter
6) easy to lift
7) id like the fire box door to be openable
I am looking at the maxitrak engine that accucraft distributes it is the SC&CR R1 which is a 0-6-0 british tank engine with dimensions of 34''L, 8.5''W, 13.7''H and a weight of 84lbs

any suggestions? I dont have any machining equiptment at home so i can not build one

Mitch,
Tell us your location. Location will make a considerable difference in what any one of us can tell you.

Kvom: im looking for something new, i know used would cost less but I dont know enough about live steam models to feel comfortable buying a used loco

Mitch,
I suggest that you contact The Colorado Live Steamers. They are an active club with a club track about 50 miles east of you. While their main thrust is 7-1/2 gauge they do have some 4-3/4 gauge (1inch scale) track at the site. I have never been to the track , but have known several members.

http://www.coloradolivesteamers.com/

[email protected]

Gail in NM

ok, accucrafts e-store shows that the sc&cr is out of stock so i put the Hunslet alice in my shopping cart just to see how much that would be shipped to my home address, shipping for this is way less than i expected, its only $5.34 for a combined total of $6,540.34. I think ill go for this when I have the $$$ and a credit card

ok, the more i think about what my priorities should be. I think that maybe i should save for a small house
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHxw4WkyRAE[/ame]
Because in 4 months i will be 18 years of age, and would like to move out of my parents house before I am 20 years old. I am thinking that this is what I really want to do the most, I have always wanted a tiny house ever since i was real young. Their are multiple reasons for this. First, it is a more cost effective way of living. Second, I dont need all the space in the world, just enough to live and have what I need.
I will definitely be getting the engine in the future, but this is a little higher of a priority right now. A small house is part of my dream :) Im thinking a small plot of land in the rocky mountains of colorado (i have always wanted to live up there) with a small seperate closed in garage for my 1999 mitsubishi galant and my 1984 honda xr250r dirtbike. Ill definitely have a loop of track running around my house for the steam loco.
Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back