Where to put it?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kludge

In the thread about the Clisby, I wound up with a discourse on DC motors, which I happen to like a lot - far more than AC motors, in factual fact. Then I realized it would make a good thread on its own and so I did a copy & paste to Word to clean it up to repost as a new thread.

Then came a problem. Where?

They don't really have anything to do with engines or even lathes et al except we all depend on motors to turn our machines, and some use DC or universal (a special case of a DC motor) motors to turn them. Questions will, of course, lead to more writing and I may actually have to Look Things Up! :eek:

By the way, steppers are a special case of a DC motor. In case anyone's excited about them.

BEst regards,

Kludge

BobWarfield said:
It goes in the Monarch 10EE forum! :big:

Huh? You mean you don't have one of the really cool ones with the hydraulic drive? :eek: What kind of deal is that?

Let's see ... that's got a 5 hp motor, doesn't it? That has got to have a really cool controller for it. Does it run from 115 or 220?

Best regards,

Kludge

Your new Clisby would run great with a 5 HP motor. You might have a little trouble making pulleys to fit. :big:
I will continue to participate in the conversation.
Fred

pelallito said:
Your new Clisby would run great with a 5 HP motor. You might have a little trouble making pulleys to fit. :big:

Making pulleys isn't a problem - I'd just have to make a lot of them for a couple intermediate shafts. :D

I think I would have a problem attaching the Clisby to the motor so the starting torque doesn't throw it half way across the room. :)

BEst rgeards,

Kludge

I have found, that the DC motors off electric buggies and wheelchairs are great for small machines.
Very powerful for their compact size (these things move 20+ stone people around all day without thinking about it). And very easy to contol the speed if you have someone in the know that can make a controller for you.
Dirt cheap on fleabay.

John

Where to put it?

Geez Kludge, in this country you never ask that question, or you will be told in no uncertain terms ;)

tel said:
Geez Kludge, in this country you never ask that question, or you will be told in no uncertain terms ;)

*chuckling* ... YEah, I guess that was pretty badly worded, wasn't it.

Okay, the votes are in and Machine Modifications wins by a landslide. :)

I guess I should finish the edits on the first part and put it up for everyone to giggle about.

Best regards,

Kludge

Lookin' forward to seeing it mate!

Bogstandard said:
I have found, that the DC motors off electric buggies and wheelchairs are great for small machines.

Oh, yeah. There are many motors to be found if you know where to look and you're reasonably sure the previous owner won't notice they've gone missing.

The approach I want to take is to start with simple cases (permanent magnet and universal motors) and work up to the more powerful motors and their controllers with side branches including steppers, brushless motors and possibly servo motors if I can get ahead of the curve on them.

While some theory is inevitable, I'd like to keep it and the math to a minimum which should be exciting in a few cases. There will be a couple DIY projects for DC motor controllers for lower power motors to serve more as examples but useful ones in case anyone actually wants to make them. They work more or less the same as the more powerful ones with one difference being in how they handle the higher voltages & currents. There will also be a fairly simple straightforward manual controller for steppers that's not so good for computer control but is neat for showing how they work.

Also, if I can remember where I put them, I may see what it takes to fish out the field windings from a sewing machine motor to make it significantly more useful as well. (The same change holds true for kitchen appliances, electric hand drills, circular saws and a number of other goodies.)

Oh, yeah. How I proceed and which direction happens when will depend a lot on questions & comments.

Best regards,

Kludge

Hi Kludge
I am really looking forwards to this as it will help to demystify some of the "weird magic" that goes on inside those funny casings attached to our machines such as how does the food for the little people that run around in hamster wheels inside them actually get in there? Are more powerful motors inhabited by stronger people or are there just more of them ? Or both ?

So many questions, So little time !

I all my years, of all the things i have lost, I miss my mind the most. :wall:

Kludge,
We certainly don't want that to happen. It's so small you might not be able to find it after that! :big:
I had a great temptation to add something along the line of what Tel posted, but I managed to restrain myself. ;D
Where to put it?

Geez Kludge, in this country you never ask that question, or you will be told in no uncertain terms. ;)

I am looking forward to reading about these motors, and the care and feeding of the "little people". Is it something along the line of "fairy dust" as in Peter Pan type usage. ???
Regards,
Fred

Malcom ...

I am really looking forwards to this as it will help to demystify some of the "weird magic" that goes on inside those funny casings attached to our machines

This is part of the problem. The Arcane Arts have a language all their own, each having a dialect of the parent language which, as often as not, does not directly translate to any another or much of anything else, so a large part of the effort is in interpreting to something more useful here.

such as how does the food for the little people that run around in hamster wheels inside them actually get in there?

Keep in mind that food is an energy source so part of the arcanity is in converting electrical energy to something more appropriate for the pedal pushers. Oh, and contrary to popular belief, not all are in hamster wheels. Some of the newer ones use bicycle seats and pedals so they can work longer.

Are more powerful motors inhabited by stronger people or are there just more of them ? Or both ?

The simple answer is "Yes". Different manufacturers use different approaches dependent on things like the desired starting torque as well as which (more or stronger or some combination of the two) they can grow the most efficiently. That, in turn depends on the wizards on the payroll and the vat nutrients in use at the time.

I all my years, of all the things i have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Odd. I don't miss mine at all. ;D

Fred ...

The answer to part of your your questions is above and I don't think Malcom will object to you reading them. That's kind of between you and him, I guess.

Is it something along the line of "fairy dust" as in Peter Pan type usage. ???

Nope, this is a drug-free shop. :big:

Best regards,

Kludge

Back