What's the best way.....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
u just cant get around a lot of wire wheel work there. get ur self a a hand grinder and a wire wheel and get some free time one part at a time when u finish one part paint it Thm:

Captain Jerry said:
to remove a little rust. I'm not sure where to start.

SteamDonkey001.jpg

SteamDonkey002.jpg

SteamDonkey003.jpg

SteamDonkey004.jpg

SteamDonkey005.jpg

Any suggestions?

Jerry
Hi, What i do if at all possible to remove parts is use phosphoric acid used with a battery charger and a scoop of detergent and it removes most if not all rust but does change some bits darker(black) but if painting it is no problem it is very effective.
coldte

tel said:
Weren't there some health issues come up with the needle scalers a few years back? The needles being made of beryllium copper or something equally nasty?

Yep, the CofA is being sued by many Naval Associations for the use of Beryllium Copper needles in the Jason Guns used for descaling aboard RAN ships and the subsequent health issues to their members.

Best Regards
Bob

tel said:
Weren't there some health issues come up with the needle scalers a few years back? The needles being made of beryllium copper or something equally nasty?
Cleco was the brand of air powered needle guns that I have seen/used over the last 30 years at sea. The needles were made from steel - quite hard too, and they made excellent scribers. Perhaps beryllium copper needles were for use in an intrinsically safe area.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

WOW !! How cool is that :) Looks like a fairly complete donkey engine !! Daaang that'd be pretty darn cool to see restored and running. You don't see many of those around at all Thm:

How about some pictures of the whole enchilada ? :big:

Back