What have you made for your kids or grandkids?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Brian, the bubble machine is freakin awesome! My boys would love something like that! You got any video of it?

@MachineTom, did you make that cannon from drawings or your own design? That really cool! I know a guy who knew a guy who dated a girl who's dad had a brother's uncle who made one that shoots golf balls. Side note... did you know the BATFE considers these and tator guns as weapons?
JWCNC--THE BOTTOM PICTURE is A VIDEO. JUST DOUBLE CLICK IT.

JW, this is a cannon of my own design, but based on a drawing of the 1778 cannons on the US Constitution. The cannon is chambered only for ammo 10 Gauge black powder blank, which is 2 7/8 long, and does not allow fixtured ammo to be used. Fixtured ammo which is only available in 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 length. Fixtured ammo has 3 parts, primer powder and projectile, blank ammo has 2 parts primer and powder. So Fixtured ammo will not fit in the chamber, Point one for legal, It is Black powder point two, The design is based on a real cannon manufactured before 1898.point three. The bore is tapered which prevents someone from using a ball on top of the blank shell, that is my choice to be sure someone can't defeat the no projectile requirement.

Now a Black powder cannon that is loaded with a cartridge of BP and has a separate primer,fuse or loose powder and fires balls is legal in most states but not in NJ.

Hi JAndrew

I read your thread and thought about this plane I put together for an aviator friend of mine, that I originally made from Poplar, and liked the way it came out, and decided to make one for me. The body was made from Walnut, Wheels, Wing Struts, Engine parts Ebony, Large wings are Poplar, Prop, Tail Wing, Tail are Birch, Engine block from Blood wood, and Landing gear and axles are Maple. I have attached full plans for the plane for download. (free) I couldn't find the drawings so I redrew them yesterday and today.
Great Thread Idea
Jack
Draw-Tech
draw-tech.net

Ready for take-off :D
Thanks for the plans. What a wonderful build!!! Enjoyed every second.
Bear in mind that i don't own a lathe or a mill.
95% of wooden parts where hand-made from Tetraclinis articulata heart wood.
The other 5% of wood is made from other stock.I added some brass, plastic o-rings and steel shafts for stability and because i could not manufacture them.
The whole plane is covered in raw linseed oil
Thanks again ;D;D;D

WP_002465.jpg

WP_002468.jpg

Beautiful job on the biplane!

Must be British though; the prop turns the wrong way.;)

Draw-Tech said:
Great job, for not having a lathe. Did you make for you or somebody?

Just for me and the fun of it...

DICKEYBIRD said:
Must be British though; the prop turns the wrong way.
British... I dont know.
Cypriot... YES. :wall:
Well-trained eye;)

A very innocuous title for a thread but got me interested and thirsting for more
Keep it coming lads.I have made many toys for my kids and school projects in the past
but no photos.Made a puppet theatre and a shop for my sons primary school class
Labour of love

I am finding myself facing the restoration of a crib.
The same crib my son slept in as a babe. Two years later my son's fiance slept in the same crib.
And when he is here my grandson will have it to use . Yes long story.
Tin

HMEM,

Both the wife and the baby got homemade gifts this year for Christmas. Just no getting around to posting them...

For the baby I made this aluminum rattle:
IMG_20140515_153441_zps3945a8e5.jpg

It's 6061 aluminum. Please pardon the polish job on it. This toy had to be taken away once the baby started getting teeth and learned how to use it as a hammer.

The lower half is press fit into the upper half. I used popcorn kernals inside for the rattling. All the radius work was done with files and sandpaper.

In retrospect it's a bit too heavy and dangerous for a flailing child.

The wife was given this somewhat cheesy gear necklace:
IMG_20140515_153347_zps4fbbbe6f.jpg

She likes long dangly neck charms. the heart base is polished aluminum, the gears are from brass gear stock and the pins are 0.125" drill rod turned down a bit.

The gears do spin and mesh pretty well so she can idly fidget with it.

Fairly cheap presents to make. I only had to spend $1500 on a lathe and mill to make them :hDe:!!!!

-J.Andrew

Latest posts

Back