What does IWH mean

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
I am building a steam donkey, in the hardware list it calls for some steel iwh flat head and and some iwh steel fastenings, does anyone know what they mean by iwh?
Terry

Institute of Womens Health.. but somehow I dont think........ ;D

After a search on google the only thing I can find that has any bearing at all to fixings is Impact Wrench Head.

but even that doesn't make a lot of sense.

there's an acronym search but that has just got

IWH Institute for Work & Health
IWH Institute for Women's Health
IWH I Was Here
IWH Instantaneous Water Heater

No not really :big: :big:

sorry, no more ideas.

bet its something bloody obvious. ???

Roy

Instrument Whitworth possibly

Can you give an idea of teh sizes and that may tie it down if they are small threads below 0.100".

Jason

I couldn't turn anything up either.

Iguanas With Headaches?

The list calls for 6 8-32x1/2 iwh flat head and 6 8/32x1/2 steel iwh???

I don't know what those letters stand for, but 8-32 is a regular American machine screw size.

I think its "Internal Wrench Head" aka socket head capscrews

Brian

jct842 said:
yup allen head cap screws must be it. john
I would say "socket flat head" but whatever.
One of my "pet peeves" is people that use an acronym or abbreviation without
defining it on the first use. :-(
...lew...

Indented Hex Washer
Has a formed hex head with an integrated washer. The top of the head has a slight depression (indented).
Can have a slot or not for screwdriver tightening.

ihw.gif

The XL Screw site shows the reference as IHW, not IWH, but after a group of sizes with IHW, they show a screw described as "Indented Head (Without Washer)" so my guess js that it means Indented Head with Washer" . Where are they used?

Jerry

OK thanks for the replies, indented wrench head might be it as a picture in the plans shows a counter sunk flat head bolt, why he would not just call it an allen head I dont know.
Terry

Not so much Allen heads I think, but the recessed hex heads as found on tek screws - at least that's what an image search for IHW keeps throwing up.

thumbnail.asp.jpg

I read something, (can't remember what :eek:), but the W & H are referring to width and height of the head and nut because as I understand it there are standard, locking and heavy, which vary in size. Not much but perhaps this will give things a nudge towards the answer.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks for all the info, on reading further on the plan I found mention of an "internal wrench head" bolt. ??

Latest posts

Back