What do you use for coolant dispensing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V 45

Reaction score
I was wandering what you use as a coolant dispenser if you had NO compressed air ?? What I'm using now is applying by acid brush. Not the most efficient method but it's what I have. Is there someting to make or available to use without air ? Any electrical systems...maybe like fish tank pumps or the like ? I don't really want a flood type but rather a mister.
Thanx again,
V 45

Cheap quick and dirty,

Buy a 2 ltr/1 quart pump sprayer bottle from a garden shop.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
bob

Thanx Bob...but was looking for something electric

How about a spray bottle like used for glass cleaner etc.

There are some misting systems out there that the people who keep reptiles use. I have one that is a bottle you pump up like a garden sprayer. (but much smaller) I think I have seen some electric ones, but they will require some adapting to purpose.

Thanx for all the suggestions !! Some better than others ;D Not sure how the Ol' Lady would think about the roof being off with the windmills ...although would have enough power ! I did look at the reptile misters.. that looks like it could be the ticket. I think whilst pondering this over the rainy weekend I might be able to make something like that with a submersible pump. I did see some for water and oil. So I don't know if the synthetic mix coolant would hurt the pump ?
Thanx again,
V45

V45.

Hope I didn't come across as being flippant! Just my sense of humour!

Ron.

Modern washing machine drain pumps are built with a magnetic rotor riding in the liquid with a ceramic shaft encased inside a plastic housing with the coils outside. No shaft seals to worry about and can easily cope with oil and water.

ronkh said:
V45.

Hope I didn't come across as being flippant! Just my sense of humour!

Ron.

Hi Ron...No issues...It was funny !!

I will have to look into the washing machine pumps as well.
Thanx again...V 45

Hi
I used a fish tank pump for years with no problems at all
Just make sure you get one with a good lift head
John

I prefer steel to the copper alloys or aluminium and early on found that I really feel cleaner after cutting with coolant, and I think my results are better. I made a really simple coolant system, basically 2 buckets as one of the first things I did for my lathe. First some panel beating on the drip-pan as supplied to give it a depression and then drill a drain hole (duh). One bucket is suspended from the rafters, with galv fittings, a really neat plastic ball valve, I paid about US$0.85 for, Gardena type fittings, a transparent plastic hose and terminates on the lathe with some Hoselok. Gravity takes care of the feed and I simply empty the lower bucket into the top one when I have no flow. If I am really busy I might have to empty/fill buckets twice in a day, no great strain. I bought a 5 litre bottle of coolant a while back which I haven’t cracked yet so I am still good for coolant for ages.

Ant
PS I don't really dig the idea of breathing coolant mist, I would want to get around the idea of mist cooling.

hi this my help don't no wot voltage you wont to run sumthing off but a 12volt fuel transfer pump no not the type for cars the ones used by the chaps that fly model aeroplane's or if like rumaging in scrap yards find a old Volvo their windscreen washer motes are of the gerd variety so the coolent will not a harm them

Antman said:
I don't really dig the idea of breathing coolant mist, I would want to get around the idea of mist cooling.

I detest mist coolant systems as well. No matter what you do you end up breathing it even if using a mask. It soaks the mask filter and in it comes anyway. I purchased a simple flood coolant system from ENCO ( http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=296-2030 ) and I've been very happy with it. It's easily moved between my lathe and mill.

I had to drill a hole in my chip pan so the coolant could drain back to the coolant bucket and pump. I bolted a 1/2-NPT floor flange and cork gasket under the pan and put 1/2" X 5/8" hose barb on the floor flange. An old peace of 5/8" garden hose is pushed on the hose barb so coolant is routed to the coolant bucket. It's so easy to flip a switch and have coolant flowing on the work and cutting tools. I've saved enough money over the past couple of years in cutting tools to pay for the coolant system. Cutting tools last far longer with coolant flowing on them.

A simple soution I used was a 12v bilge pump from a boat supply place. Dropped in a 5gallon bucket, attached a clear plastic hose, made a nozzle and used a clamp on the plastic hose for regulation of coolant. Hole in driptray with sponge as filter and the bucket under the hole to catch the return. Used a 12v battery charger to run the pump. Hope this gives you another option :big:
Pete

Spraymist

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2265.msg25536#msg25536

The reason everyone is breathing in the mist is because they haven't got it adjusted correctly.

I have mine set up so that when spraying onto my thumb fingernail, I can only see a small deposit on there.

The air does the cooling and the fluid, the lubrication, and it is amazing how little lubrication is required to help things along.

John

Thank you John...looks like you have a winner !! By the way very nice work on your mister !!

This guy is pretty smart and does so much custom stuff on his sherline setups.
Including this awesome home made coolant system.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44laWzXMeKE[/ame]

Back