What Do Words Mean?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very well said, Rick!!!
gbritnell

I was poking around the Locomotive Cyclopedia a little more and ran across the section on 'Export Locomotives'.

At one point the economy of the US had a very large export component to it. It's probably a good thing people in those countries didn't say 'don't buy stuff from the US' back then. ;)

FWIW

Jack,
You hit on my favorite word: "Freedom".

Unfortunately far too many people don't know the meaning of this word. It is closely related to another word "Independence". Something we used to know about here in the USA, but no more.

Some times I wonder who owns my house. I have a bill of sale and a title to it, but if I want to do anything to it I have to get permission from the county government. So, who really owns it? Me or the government? I paid money for it, but I still have to "rent" it from the government each year in the form of property taxes. If I don't I'll get evicted. So where is the Freedom there? It seems the only difference between ownership and renting is the landlord.

Various levels of government take money out of my paycheck before I even see it. When asking for a tax cut the government reply is "We can't afford it". Yet they never ask me if I can afford a tax increase, they just do it. So, even though I negotiated my pay with my employer, it's the government who actually decides how much I get paid. They only allow me to keep what they deem necessary, and will change that amount on a whim. So, again, where's the Freedom?

We now have government redefining what "rights" people have. Until recently "rights" meant you have the Freedom to do what you wish, provided it doesn't trample on the rights of someone else. They did not require the labor, time, money of anyone else. You alone were the only person needed to exercise those rights. Now we have government bureaucrats trying to define "rights" that require the time/money/labor of other citizens in order for someone to exercise those "rights". So much for Independence, eh?

Sorry for the rant.

Kevin

I don't want to offend the members of the Boomer Generation, but that is where the problems started. If you are old enough to remember, in the 60s they were called the "Me Generation" with the attitude screw you - I'm OK.

Up to that point, the world economy was based on production. The man making shovels used his revenue to pay his workers and his suppliers. The profit went into the local bank and earned a nominal interest rate. When the shovel handle supplier wanted to increase production, he went to the bank and borrowed the money at a somewhat higher rate than was being paid to the the shovel man. Everybody was happy.

As the companies grew, they went public, selling shares to people who held them until death, spending the dividends and watching the value Of the stock increase.

The Boomers, better educated than any previous generation, looked for ways to become rich without all that work and time. Suddenly, introduced into the system were several new levels of profit taking without contributing anything to production. Investment banks, hedge funds, day traders ad nauseum were all taking billions of dollars out of the economy without adding to the GNP. Every dollar they earned increased the cost of goods without adding anything to them. Now nobody is happy.

Did you ever expect to see public companies, on bended knee, asking for government bailout and their union boss saying :We are willing to let you stop paying us for not working".

The only bright light in this story is that the majority of the boomers, nearing retirement, are watching their retirement go down the tubes with the stock market and housing price drop. They thought the good times would never end..

This thread really bothers me.

Were it not for the fact that it's in the "Break Room", I would have deleted it a long time ago. Rants about various countries' declining manufacturing abilities accomplish nothing other than perhaps destressing the author a bit - something he could achieve more effectively by going to the shop and building something. Furthermore, they contribute nothing of value to the main subject matter of the forum.

Yes, it's in the "Break Room" where, supposedly, anything goes. Nevertheless, I think it's unwise of us to allow, and tacitly endorse, incendiary subjects *anywhere* on this forum. Doing so implies that such discussions, even if civil, are somehow relevant to the forum's business. Moreover, each one becomes evidence to prove that the next one that comes along shouldn't be deleted.

I appeal to all of you to let this thread die - resist the temptation to comment on anything that might be added to it.

Well said, Marv.

I'll admit to getting carried away with the subject, it's quite an emotional one.
Best to just let this dog sleep.

Kevin

Marv,

You are absolutely correct :bow: :bow:

Apologies all round

Best Regards
Bob

The last time I looked at this thread I had a laugh at Tin's post ...........

Tin Falcon said:
The word hazardous in the term "Hazarous Material" Does not necessarily mean there is a hazard.

but now, 24 hours later things have moved on somewhat, Marv is quite correct ........... whilst there are many valid points raised here this is not the forum for them let's let it rest guys and move on, an odd few comments about economic blight etc are no problem, that's life ......... but ........... there are hundreds of forums out there to discuss world affairs ..... and they are easy to find, here ........ let's stick (generally) to engineering and a bit of light hearted banter ....... so ....... politics is out ;)

CC

OK Now we are back on topic sort of . How about this one.
From the manual of my micromark mini mill:
"This machine is only to be used by professionally trained Machinists."
What a laugh I happened to be tranied by Professional USAF machining instructors but the Seig S-2 is a hobby machine built for the hobbyist just lawereez.
Tin

Good point Tin, where do we draw the line between professional / hobby ??? ......... however ......... I believe that deserves a separate thread, and one which is well worth discussing 8)

as for this thread ............ lets let it die a natural death ............ either that or I'll Kill it 8)

CC

Perhaps one thing should be added to this thread.
Simply this:
without exception, this is the best moderated forum, online or off, which I have ever encountered.
The decorum exhibited by its members, exemplary.

To all those who give freely of their time and skills, thank you!

Sincere regards, Lin

Back