What a way to spend a Holiday, Cleaning. Well maybe it was a good thing.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcmadness

Reaction score
I just received my G0602 lathe and X3 mill from Grizzly on Thursday. I cant believe how fast it got here, 3 days from shipped to my door step. I have spent the last two days cleaning the proverbial gunk off of them. Over all I am pleased with everything, nothing was broken and everything was where it was supposed to be. The crates were totally intact, the only damage at all was the some problem everyone has. The screw that holds the base pan wore thought the sticker/paint on the top of the gear box.

Here are some pics:

Video 2 0 00 02-28.jpg

Video 2 0 00 45-24.jpg

Video 2 0 00 11-18.jpg

It can't be worse than mine. I got the sheet rock up, painted the walls, added trim (one window is yet to be finished), brought everything from storage and got to work. I went from a 2 car to a 1 1/2 car garage. It's quite compact.

These pictures look like an operating room compared to my cave. :bow:

JorgensenSteam said:
Man that is a clean shop.
Look, you can see the floor!

He just got the lathe and mill! Give him another day or two. :big:

RC,

Christmas in September.

What a man cave.

Nice and brights with lots of storage space.

Enjoy your new toys and show us what you can do with them.

Jealous regards,

SAM

Nice way to spend holidays. :big: :big:

Re: the spindle bearings. On mine I found that they had not cleaned out the oil holes at the factory and they had black grit in them. I had done the running in that the manual said to do before I found it. Grizz sent me new spindle bearings. My advice is to really squeeze the oil thru the spindle bearing oil holes to be sure there is no grit in there before turning it on. See here.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6343.0

Other than that I am really happy with my 10 x 22. However there is a thread like pattern that shows up under power feed on turning. Its not very deep and can be filed out quickly but I can't seem to find the cause yet.

Ron

Thanks for the nice comments. I built the shop a couple of months ago and moved my mini mill and lathe (Plus all my other tools) out of my 1/2 of the garage. I have tinker in the hobby for the past 10 years of so. Finally decided to up grade my tools so along came the bigger bench top tools. (My DRO will be here tuesday for the mill.)

And yes it has been Christmas in September. If anyone is interested this was my Santa list.

This what I bought for CDCO Tools. (They were quite a bit cheaper than everyone else and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.
Turning and Facing Tool Holder AXA $8.00 x 3
Carbide Indexable End Mills (R8 Shank)$43.00
Indexable Turning Tool Set $27.00
Quick Change Tool Post AXA For Lathe 9 - 12" $78.00
Collet Set and Chuck $55.00
I only put the prices for those that have never bought from them before like myself. The QCTP for $78 is unreal in my book. I will tell you that you do have to cut the compound riser down so the tool holders meet the center line and if you have cutting tools that will cut the TP nut to size you have better cutting tools than mine. (its hardened tool steal and not easy to cut. I re-tapped the original tool most nut that came with the lathe.)

Grizzly list:
G0602 - 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe
H2957 - Dovetail Cutter 3/4" x 60°
H5603 - Over/Under Chucking Reamer 14 pc.
G7156 - Premium Milling Vise - 5"
G1509 - HSS Square Tool Bits - 3/8" x 3" L
G0463 - Mill / Drill
H2987 - Lathe Dog 1/2" Bent
H2988 - Lathe Dog 1" Bent
G9327 - R-8 Shank For Boring Head 7/8" x 20
H8178 - Table Power Feed for G0463/G0619

DROPROS
3 Axis DRO

As far as keeping the shop clean, I have made a commitment to myself to keep it that way. I have found it to be a whole lot more enjoyable with it clean than cluttered. (when my shop was in the garage it was a mess all the time.)

Thanks for the heads up Ozzie but I have already run mine in as is. But it seems to be fine. The run out on the chuck is .00075 so I am pleased.

RCmadness

I have seen a few clean machine shops. Aircraft shops are usually clutter free. I tend to clutter things up faster than I can clean. Hope you keep your shop clean and happy.
Tin

JorgensenSteam said:
Man that is a clean shop.
Look, you can see the floor!

I gotta remember not to post my shop photos here.

Pat J : )
.......ya thats definitly a virgin shop. Wait til he starts cutting metal, spilling oil and droping nuts & bolts on the floor! ;D

Looks great mate and I cant wait to see what it can all do!

A clean shop is a habit, I spend time making a mess then I always follow this with time unmaking the mess. The only time I leave it un cleaned is when I leave a set up in mid process for the night, but once its finished........

Good luck and enjoy..

Rob T

I am with you Artie, all you have to do is take 10 minutes at the end of the work session and put things where they belong. I use the shop vac to pick up the swarf and clean off the machines.

I will say having room for everything to have its place is very important and everything gets put up before the lights go out.

Longboy, Virgin? I believe I remedied that when I tried to machine the the QTTP post nut on the new mill with a brand new carbide cutter. I have never had molten swarf flying until I tried machining that little piece of metal. That swarf went everywhere and it was truly molten.

Latest posts

Back