Wells Stationary

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
My skills are not to the point whre I should be building small IC engines yet so I have decided to work up to it. Looking through the many plans I have downloaded I found a scanned copy from the book my metalwork teacher had when I was in high school 20 years ago of the first engine I built and lost somewhere. I think I got it from the mcabe site, it is called a Wells Stationary. I am making some small changes to make it look a bit pretty. The plans call for a cast or folded sheet main support but I had some ali thick enough to make the cast part, billet I suppose they call it.
DSCF2043.jpg

Sawing 32mm ali is not a fun job, really need to make and arbor for a saw blade for the mill
DSCF2060.jpg

Squaring up using a broaching drill I found. Need to make a flycutter too, but this worked quite well
DSCF2062.jpg

A bit of shaping and marking out
DSCF2063.jpg

Half done just need to make it flow nice around the main bearing area

That was the end of day one, other things on that day.

Brock

Day two started off with finishing the support
DSCF2073.jpg

Mount holes being tapped
DSCF2065.jpg

The drawings for the crank show a flywheel with a crank pin pressed into it but I think it will look better with a flywheel on the back add a nice shaped crank web on the front, also give it a bit morre flywheel weight.
DSCF2070.jpg

Finally got a wiggler, very handy. Accuracy has improve no end, DRO will be nice. Setting up to drill crank ppin hole
DSCF2067.jpg

DSCF2069.jpg

Support front and back. Also turned up a main bearing, the originl one I made just had the crank runnuing in the ali and developed a fair bit of slop real quick.

Port block next so I had had a dig in the brass box.
DSCF2072.jpg

I have about ten of these blocks they are 13mm thick and about 85mm square. They come from a machine where I work, they are slides for an extension arm on a shotcrete machine. The full set gets replace every few months, handy. Very hard and does not like to play with tools in the normal way but workable.
DSCF2075.jpg

Cut out and square up.
DSCF2077.jpg

The bits so far, lots of ceaning up to do.
I just looked at the clock and it is past I can finaly make noise on a Sunday morning oclock. I have a list from the local Shire about the subject.
More to come later.

Brock

Good start Brock
I'll be folowing along !!
Pete

Nice going Brock :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I think the slide material which I thought was brass may be bronze, it does not splinter like brass but it seems to have some work hardened areas. When turning it comes of in ribbons not tiny splinters. Would this be bronze? Any easy way to tell?

Brock

Got some more done today between other jobs, last day before I have to go to work for another week :( nesescary evil.
DSCF2081.jpg

Got a flywheel done, need a grub screw to replace the cap screw.
DSCF2082.jpg

From the front
DSCF2083.jpg

Squaring up the cylinder in the four jaw
DSCF2084.jpg

This machines nicely with carbides, I think it is bronze.
DSCF2086.jpg

Setting up to bore the cylinder with a wiggler and DTI. This is a time consuming job for me, just when I think I have it :mad: it goes pear shape. I called it quits at 0.025mm total difference. Something else I need to do more.
DSCF2087.jpg

Well here is where I am up to now. Just need to bore some port holes in the cylinder and face, make a piston, conrod and big end. Give it some air and see what happens. Back to the burrow tomorrow :'( no shed for me for a week.

Thanks for looking
Brock

No shed time for a week !!!! That is a harsh sentence for an innocent man. Isn't this work thing a PITA :mad:

It looks great.
Could you post a link to the plans?
Regards,
Gerald.

Thanx for sorting that Jim, champion. This is a nice simple engine to start and from what I can remember from making it at school it was a good runner. I was thinking about running air but I just found a 50mm bit of copper tube at work in the tip about 900mm long so I might build the boiler and base shown in the plan, just need to find a better design of safety valve as I was never happy with the original.

Brock

Got it finished :)
PIC_0002.jpg

PIC_0001.jpg

Runs real good on about 10psi and turns into a blur on 100 :big:

What to do next

Just waiting on a die to arrive so I can make a spring loaded pivot.

Brock

Hi Brock,That is a great looking little engine.You might try a belleville disc spring.I think they look a little better than a compression spring.You can stack them if you need to increase the load but i have found that one or two will do it.
Crab

http://www.mcmaster.com/#disc-springs/=cyc6v1

Hi Brock, Nice job, completion feels good doesn't it, Dave

Back