Webster Engine fails to start

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Finally it works much better now.It runs almost 30 seconds. :big:
I think with a fine tuning and some modifications on the fuel tank,it will run continiously.
What did I change for a better result?
Here are some important hints for those who want to build a webster with glow plug version.
1- A powerful glow plug batterry is a must.I have used 4.4 Amp batterry.
2- Some pressure is needed on the fuel tank.There is no pressure tube on webster engine that comes from the exhaust tube.So I am planning to raise the level of the tank and even use a bigger one.
3- This is the most important point,
The tappet on the rocker arm should be a tight fit as it may be effected by vibration and causes a change on the timing.Unfortunately I have noticed this after so many days.

I will add the video,hopefully this weekend,and let you see the final result

Brgds

RickA,

I looks like persiverance is paying off.

I'm looking forward to seeing your engine run.

SAM

Serhat
I'm certainly no expert on IC engines, but when I began trying to run my Victorian for the first time, I enlisted one who gave me some advice I thought was too simple to make a difference. His advice was to keep plenty of oil in the cylinder to help seal the O-rings to the wall. That one small piece of advice proved to be invaluable to getting mine to run. I added a drop of oil into the cylinder before trying to start it and the compression level jumped by a significant amount. The additional compression would actutally take the flywheel out of my hand when I spun it. The engine started right up and ran for over an hour. Just another thought for you to consider....

Steve

Serhat, I am very glad to hear of your success at getting your Webster to run. I would not have imagined the tank having to be pressurized in your application but suppose that the engine was marginal in vacuum to reliably draw enough fuel to run. The larger battery was fairly evident but nonetheless, I am delighted you have solved the mystery. I am looking forward to seeing the video of continuos running ;D

BC1
Jim

Hello,

Here is a short video.I could only captured the last few seconds.
A better one will follow on Sunday.

Let me know if you see something abnormal on its running.

Brgds

View attachment DSCN2517.AVI

Serhat---Congratulations!!!! Your engine seems to run just fine. I am sure that you are closing in on whatever the problems were. Looks very clean and professional too.----Brian

Latest posts

Back